We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

something positive for a change

CORBY,ENGLAND
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
something positive for a change

I am going to Miami on December (28th) staying for 10 nights with my wife and 2 kids aged 8 and 7,we are staying at the hotel Castillo del mar the reason we are staying at this hotel is because we only booked 4 weeks ago and got a late deal at a great price ��1800 ($3400) for the lot, flights and accommodation etc.We are looking forward to the beach the hot weather and the buzz of south beach, also the day trips to the other resorts and attractions.But I have to say that if I was to believe everything that I have read on here and other sites then I would have my doubts now,here is a example of the comments I have read, south beach is expensive ,its not for kids,the hotel is dirty and smelly ,the people are arrogant unhelpful,don't hire a car as its a nightmare to get around and the parking is expensive and a rip off,the food is expensive etc,but I have to say I don't really listen to other peoples comments but it would be nice to read some positive reviews about the place and for someone to tell me it is ok for kids,also why do people go on holiday then moan about how much it costs when they get there,don't they budget for it ?? as for the hotel you get what you pay for and as long as it has a bed and shower and its reasonably clean then I wont complain,so if anyone has any ideas or can tell me places to go with the kids it will be gladly received.

Louisville, KY
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: something positive for a change

Was just in South Beach with my girlfriend. Had a great time.

The weather, the nightlife. Just awesome! It depends on where you are staying. Got a great deal at the Winterhaven and the rooms are very clean. And the hotel's staff is very courteous.

South Beach is very expensive. For instance. I like to drink draft beer. I got a pint of Bass and it cost $7.50 at one place.

Needless to say it was not happy hour. Which is usually just a couple of hours. 5-7pm. The food is expensive pricey. A lot of the places on Ocean Drive leases start out at $20,000 a month and go up. So the restaurant has to charge you for this.

There are several places to eat that are less expensive. You may want to try Esponola Way. This is a quaint spanish village

Just a few blocks from South Beach. Also try Lincoln Drive Mall. This is approximately 7 blocks away and has everything. It is where all the people in the Miami Beach come to shop and eat. It is very reasonable here. Lots of taxis in Miami, so you never have to walk if you do not want to

Kids are welcome in South Beach. You should have no problem. During the day it is great. And night you should not have any problems. Some places like Mangos with half naked

dancers might pose a problem.

There are a lot of parking garages. They can be expensive.

Depending on where you are staying. $20 a night in some cases. They have pay lots but would not recommend these because they are out in the open.

Florida
Level Contributor
31 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: something positive for a change

we just sreturned from sobe-there are lots of families out and about-plus many interesting characters-parrotts on shoulders,iguanas on leashes etc. the beach is beautiful-the restaurants across from the beach can be pricey but the happy hours (some as long as noon-8 on the weekends) often offer half price appetizers that are meals in themselves. you have to go the the Lincoln mall area-great shopping,clean,upscale and lots of sidewalk restaurants.there is a certain late night club element but with children you are prob. not going out clubbing all night-it is usually as crowded at 2 a.m. as 2 p.m. but just a different "crowd" have fun!