We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Personal Safety in Miami

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Personal Safety in Miami

Any tips on personal safety whilst staying in Miami and touring Florida in general.

We are coming from Europe and have never been in Florida before.

We are a mature couple and will be staying in Downtown Miami for 3 days before setting off to tour Florida by hired car.

20 replies to this topic
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
9,490 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Personal Safety in Miami

When are you visiting? Presently Miami is under a Zika alert.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Personal Safety in Miami

Hi

End of September.

Yes we are concerned about Zika. Our tv news has had it on a running cycle over the past 3 days. I have posted separately on this.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
9,490 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Personal Safety in Miami

Well it's hard to say how it will be at the end of Sept. Personally I think it will get worse before it gets better .... hope I"m wrong though.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
15,778 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Personal Safety in Miami

Think like you would when visiting any large city, be aware of your surroundings, leave valuables at home or in your hotel. Don't carry large amounts of cash and keep things out of sight in a rental car.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Personal Safety in Miami

Thanks for your reply.

These are obviously common sense points for any foreign city. I was thinking of more specifics like 'keep clear of that particular area' or don't travel on that particular mode of transport after 10pm' or watch out for this type of person approaching you, or 'don't get money from on the wall cash machines' etc.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
841 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Personal Safety in Miami

You'll be driving most of the time or using uber/cabs. Common sense that you would use in any large city, anywhere in the world will keep you safe. It should be obvious if you are in a bad area. Pretty much any area that a tourist would be in while in Miami is safe night and day. At night, just use extra caution, stay in populated areas as one would do when visiting Barcelona or New York.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
15,778 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Personal Safety in Miami

I live in Ft Lauderdale but work in Miami and consider it to be mainly a safe place to visit.

No idea if this map is updated or not:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer…

avoid areas in red and yellow

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
160 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Personal Safety in Miami

Downtown is busy, like any downtown, so just stay aware. My daughter attended high school Downtown and never had an issue. With your rental car, don't leave personal belongings sitting for someone to break into the car. As to areas of personal safety, where will you be going? I think this where your focus should be and folks can comment accordingly on what to pay attention to.

Liberty, Missouri
Level Contributor
3 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Personal Safety in Miami

I'm actually staying in a downtown hotel at the end of June. It's a hotel with bad reviews for things like the doors and carpet but I'm only there for about 6 hours. It's the Leamington (don't judge...I know) and coming in late at night, after midnight, I'm trying to figure out the safest and cheapest way to get there from Fort Lauderdale airport. I'm thinking of taking the train to Government Center station, then an Uber or Lyft to the hotel. Does this sound reasnoably safe?

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
160 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Personal Safety in Miami

Hmmm....have you looked at how the train runs? You would take Tri-Rail and then need to switch to Metro-Rail I think.....hopefully someone else can weigh in on a simpler solution---like a hotel near MIA or FLL then Uber/Lyft in between the two and eliminate the Downtown aspect unless there is a specific reason you need to be Downtown. Our mass transit system is not the most efficient, especially in between counties--and it is not something I would want to be dealing with after midnight....

Reply to: Personal Safety in Miami
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted