We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeing Miami like it shows on CSI

Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Seeing Miami like it shows on CSI

My BF and I are staying for 1 night in Miami pre-cruise. Thinking of renting a car. I've rented a car and drove all around LA and area before, does that mean I'll be able to do Miami without any trouble also?? Is Miami safe and ok to drive in, as a tourist? (everybody has their horror stories of road-rage-gun-toting killers)....Anyway, we'd love to see the same kind of views as they show on CSI:Miami. Is this possible, or fairy-tale? You know, the Biscayne Courthouse, manicured waterways with huge buildings right on the edge of the water, etc.... We'd also like to drive ourselves to see the ritzy homes of the celebrities....or should we take the boat tours that I've heard about? Thanks in advance for any advice. :)

Minnesota
Level Contributor
894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeing Miami like it shows on CSI

We used to avoid Miami like the plauge back in the 80's & 90's. Then for some reason we decided to try it (day tripping from Ft. Lauderdale) and had some fantastic times! I still don't stay there because it seems to be three times the cost of FL, and only a short drive down the coast. Yes, it is totally drivable, but do your research ahead of time and find out exactly where the Art Deco district is. I've known many people to come back and told me the couldn't find it!!!

I don't know if you can cram ALL those activities in just one night before a cruise. Instead of seeing the ritzy homes of the celebrities may I suggest a quick tour of "Viscaya?" James Deering, CEO of International Harvester built his winter home before Miami was even conceived. It was built to look 400 years old over a hundred years ago. It's brochure is so elegant it features Pope John PaulII shaking hands with then-President Regan on the cover. The home commands an impressive view of Biscayne Bay and has an equally gorgeous property and yacht launch which you are free to wander.

I have no idea where you are staying in Miami, but I'm sure at some point you will be cruising down Collins Avenue on your way to South Beach and that is where you will see your millionaire homes on the waterways.

Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeing Miami like it shows on CSI

Thanks for your reply....and to tell you the truth, we don't plan on getting a hotel (too costly) since we are already spending the $$ on a car, we figured we'd just hope to find a safe place to recline and rest our eyes in maybe a well-known, well-lit, truck stop. I hope that doesn't sound too crazy, but here in Ontario, Canada we have really nice Flying J truck stops that have lots of available parking for this kind of thing, plus nice facilities to use for freshening up. I will eventually be doing research on seeing if this sort of thing exists around the Miami area......does anyone know?? Also, our plane lands fairly early, so we'd get the car for that whole day and night before our cruise the next afternoon. I thought we could get to Miami by mid afternoon and possibly do a sunset cruise while having plenty of time to also visit the Bayside Market Place. Your advice on the Vizcaya sounds quite interesting also...something we'd definitely be in to. We would also have the whole next morning to do stuff before our cruise.

3. Re: Seeing Miami like it shows on CSI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, August 21, 2009