We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for transit in Miami Int'l airport

Guadeloupe
Level Contributor
36 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for transit in Miami Int'l airport

We are coming in on AA from Guadeloupe and connectng on AA to MEX, will 1hr 50 mins be enough (if the flight arrive on time), moreover 23 Dec is the last Sat before X'mas, if we miss this connecting flights all our travel plans will be messed up as we have domestic flights to catch In MEX the following morning.How high are the risks of missing the connecting flight given the current situation in the immigration clearance in MIA airport? What time do the gates usually close on aa, an hr before? Does that mean we have only 50 mins to leave the plane,find our way to pick up our baggages,find our way to immigration, wait to clear, come back in ,check baggages again and run to gate?? Unfortunately I only read abt this common problem in MIA after I purchased my tickets....Should we modify our forward plans now( will cost us some losses) to prepare for the worse to ease some stress. Any helpful suggestions would be most appreciated as this will be the first time we transit in MIA

Little Havana Food and Walking Tour
180 reviews
from $58.99*
Special Offer
Key West Day Trip
378 reviews
from $65.00*
$75.00
Miami Speedboat Tour
51 reviews
from $38.00*
Miami Everglades Airboat Adventure...
272 reviews
from $78.00*
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
14,351 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for transit in Miami Int'l airport

The issues in Miami have gotten much better, I suspect you'll be fine.

None of us can tell for sure how your transit will go, that being said there are things you can do to expedite your transit. What time is your flight scheduled to arrive ? What day of the week ?

Get a seat toward the front left side of the airplane, have your paperwork/passports etc. properly filled out and in order prior to reaching the Immigration lounge. Dont waste time getting in line, the quicker you get in the quicker you get out. AA does not close their flights until 10mins before departure.

After you clear Customs, stay to the left and recheck your bags to MEX, once you complete that you will need to reclear TSA Security and make your way to your connecting gate.

I dont see a reason to rebook your forward plans out of MEX.

Guadeloupe
Level Contributor
36 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for transit in Miami Int'l airport

Thanks 'objets', we'll be arriving at MIA on the 22 Dec which is a Saturday at 6.15pm, the time and day adding to my worries, on arrival from aa where do we usually retrieve the luggage, are the luggage belts on the same level that we get off the plane from? where is the custom? go up a level? would taking the 'skytrain' save us time including waiting time for it? Does the skytrain lead to custom directly? I understand there are 2 custom points at MIA, would the one near to D concourse be is less crowded? Really stressed up, if we miss this flight ,our forward travelling plans would be really messy.... Would not having check-in luggage help? Would we be subjected to secondary checks even if we pack our toiletries according to the regulations and be delayed further?....

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,351 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for transit in Miami Int'l airport

Breath, honestly you're gonna be fine. As you deplane in Miami you have no option but to head toward Customs, this may involve a short walk and or a ride on the Skytrain. The Immigration Lounge is on the same upper level you'll be sent to after deplaning. After Immigration you head downstairs to Customs. NOT checking your bags will save you time, just be sure you can manage carrying them alone. Your arrival time means you will be missing some of the busiest times.

m
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
7,121 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for transit in Miami Int'l airport

Hi, don't worry, do as objets says - and relax!

No one can guarantee that you'll make this or any other connection, but the chances are very good with amost 2 hours. The normal sequence is this - get off the plane - walk to immigration - go thorugh immigration check - collect your luggage from the belt - go through customs - look for the AA desk just after customs and give them your luggage for the next flight - walk to the gate for your next flight and board it.

The skytrain only enters the picture at the last step - walk to your next flight. You can decide whether it's worth taking depending on how far the next gate is.

The only useful tip I can add is if the immigration line seems really long, ask one of the agents there to move you to another line (e.g. one for uS citizens only), explain that you have a short time. Nothing to worry about in advance, but be prepared with with the proper paperwork and sequence of things you need to do, to avoid delays. AA will not close the gate for the next flight an hour early, I have often boarded with minutes to spare.

Guadeloupe
Level Contributor
36 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for transit in Miami Int'l airport

Thanks again for both your feedback, it does help to better prepare me. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that our flight to MIA arrives on time.

chicago
Level Contributor
8,686 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for transit in Miami Int'l airport

i just went through MIA and it took about an hour to do everything and get to next gate

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,903 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for transit in Miami Int'l airport

Just saying that the 22nd of December is a Sunday, not a Saturday. We're traveling that weekend as well, had to recheck the calender to make sure my dates were correct.......

Guadeloupe
Level Contributor
36 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for transit in Miami Int'l airport

oops..We are travelling on the 21 Sat not 22 Sun, does anyone remember which gates is the immigration lounge close to? I was looking at the MIA airport map, D concourse where aa is likely to arrive in is a looooong stretch... it does not indicate the location of the two immigration points ( or maybe one now due to sequestration? I have read a lot of recent negative reviews ( after my trip arrangements) about MIA immigration where people were held up for 2-3 hrs at immigration, apparently a recurrent problem, an average of 700 missed connections a day!! How could that be acceptable at all ??Seems to be one of the worst airport to transit in In US...For international flights to destinations like Mexico, would aa close gates earlier as compared to domestic flights?

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,800 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for transit in Miami Int'l airport

Take a deep breath. I've transited MIA 237 times and missed connection one time. Just follow the simple advice in post 1.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,351 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions for transit in Miami Int'l airport

Old news, very old news. At the very beginning of the Sequestration things were bad, not any more. Again as you deplane you will head up to the second floor. You may or may not be close enough to walk, if it's you far once you get upstairs you will be dirrected onto the Skytrain, which will get you closer to the lounge.