We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

on route from Orlando to Miami

Which Miami hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Haifa, Israel
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
on route from Orlando to Miami

Hi

I would like to rent a car in Orlando and head south. What places would you recommand i stop at on the way? i don't mind not using the high way and staying in less popular places as long as they're safe for a girl traveling on her own. I love country roads, beaches ets.

Thanks

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
12,506 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: on route from Orlando to Miami

If time is not an issue, head east on 528 and then take A1A south until you reach Ft Lauderdale. FYI most folks will just take the Turnpike, just be sure you're prepared for the cashless tolls in and around Miami.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
13,882 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: on route from Orlando to Miami

If you take objets suggestion, head over to Cocoa Beach, stop at Cocoa Beach pier & Ron Jons surf shop, head south on A1A, you will pass Patrick Air Force Base along the way. About 45 minutes south is Sebastian Inlet, this too is worth a stop, walk out on the jetty and watch the fisherman and surfers. There are sometimes dolphins and manatees there but its not always the case. From there you will pass thru Vero Beach. I would cut over to I-95 here as its a straight shot across the river to route 60 then I-95. Or if you keep going at Ft. Pierce you will have to cut over as there is not a bridge across the inlet here. You can decide if you want to get back on A1A here or head further south and get back on at Jupiter. Check out the Blowing Rocks on the beach here. You will start to see more condo's, hi rise hotels, etc from here south. Once you reach Palm Beach traffic will be more congested but its still a pretty drive along A1A as its gets more tropical as you go south.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
12,506 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: on route from Orlando to Miami

excellent suggestions above, be sure to check the tides if you stop at Blowing Rocks Preserve, we've been there several times, but never at high tide.

Haifa, Israel
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: on route from Orlando to Miami

Thank you very much for the detailed tip.

Many worthwhile ideas.

5. Re: on route from Orlando to Miami

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, September 30, 2014