We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to take a nap after red eye flight prior to cruise?

Oakland, California
2 posts
Save Topic
Where to take a nap after red eye flight prior to cruise?

Hi,

We'll be heading to MIA from the San Francisco Bay Area on an overnight red eye, arriving (fingers crossed) around 5:30am on the same day our cruise embarks. Flights are already booked, unfortunately, we could not leave earlier and arrive the day before. We're traveling with two kids (ages 7 and 11), they've always been pretty good travelers but we're concerned that we'll essentially be arriving at 2:30am our time.

We've never been to Miami or MIA before or ever been on a cruise for that matter. How early are we allowed to board and how early are staterooms available? Does anyone recommend the hotel that's in MIA or should we take a cab to a cheaper hotel and just nap for a few hours before heading to the port? Can we even check into a hotel that early?

Any additional advice or tips? (Other than flying in a night before the cruise next time?)

Thanks so much!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,972 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to take a nap after red eye flight prior to cruise?

You could get a day room at a hotel, check in at 6am and leave at 11am-noon? There is a hotel in the airport (or used to be and I have done this myself there) and there are ones nearby. But you have to book direct with the hotel for a day room/rate unless you find one with a noon checkout in which case you prepay and tell them you wont be there til 6am.

We do this frequently in London, if we can't get an early connection after our transatlantic esp when the kids were younger.

what time does your ship sail? Ours that left at 5pm, we could board by noon (we went to the port for 10:30 am). We had lunch on board.

I would go to Cruise Critic (our sister cruise site) and ask past cruisers on your ship what time they were able to board. They might also have some fav red eye hotels ;-)

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to take a nap after red eye flight prior to cruise?

There are some great deals on day rooms if you google it in miami - I don't want to post the site in case they think I'm advertising it (I'm not) but great value if u want a shower, bed and rest .

FL
Level Contributor
184 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to take a nap after red eye flight prior to cruise?

Most ships don't advertise this, but start boarding as early as 11am. You can board, but can't usually go to your cabin, thus no nap. At least you can eat lunch, though. Just take a cab or the shuttle service run by MIA. If you book transfers thru the cruiseline you will arrive at the ship much later. Day room at the hotel inside the airport is your best bet.

Call Us Today: 800-327-1276 That is the hotel number.

m
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
6,464 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to take a nap after red eye flight prior to cruise?

Maybe you can pay the extra fee for the business class lounge (or whatever they are called these days) for your specific airline at MIA airport, and spend a few hours napping there, then head for the port between 11 and 12 noon. I think you can board most ships sometime after 11 AM but rooms may not be available until 1:30 or 2 PM.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,972 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to take a nap after red eye flight prior to cruise?

The problem here (I think) is that cruise time for a family is expensive. Tuck those babes into bed for 2 hours nap on the ship and it might turn into more like disaster getting them out of bed for dinner 6 hours later. And all the kids will want to do after boarding is explore.

That is golden time not to be wasted sleeping (esp as there is a mandatory safety drill)

So, if a nap is needed, would make more sense to chill in an AP lounge, or in an AP hotel. Given lounges are priced PP, a hotel would be cheaper for a Fam of 4. And would up some of those wasted hours between 6 am and 11.

Consult Cruise critic for this one.

Oakland, California
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to take a nap after red eye flight prior to cruise?

Thank you for your responses and tips everyone! I reserved a night at the airport hotel for the night before we arrive in MIA to accommodate the "late" arrival at 5:30am. (Unfortunately, the day rates are only available for stays between 10am and 6pm and would not have worked in our case.) The extra convenience of stepping off the plane and into a hotel room is probably worth it despite the extra cost.

Thank you again!

kc
Level Contributor
49 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to take a nap after red eye flight prior to cruise?

Hi Looking for a cheap hotel for a short niight near mia airport under that has shuttle to motel if possible for budget college kid. Thanks! Julie

8. Re: Where to take a nap after red eye flight prior to cruise?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 29, 2014