We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Miami to Disney World in Orlano

Sydney, Australia
12 posts
Save Topic
Drive from Miami to Disney World in Orlano

I plan to drive from Miami/Fort Lauderdale to Disney World. I understand I'll need to go along FL-91 N / Florida Turnpike. Can anyone kindly tell me how much is the toll if I start from Fort Lauderdale and finish at Disney World? Also I'll hire a car from Avis. although I ask Avis how the toll on the hire car be charged and paid, they me never got back to me unfortunately. Can someone tell me how car hiring company normally charge the toll incurred by the driver? The total hiring charge doesn't include any prepaid toll charge.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,640 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Miami to Disney World in Orlano

Are you leaving from Miami airport or Ft. Lauderdale airport? These are miles apart and makes a difference to the directions to get to the Turnpike. Look at any online map website to see how to get to the Turnpike. I'm not aware of a road called FL-91N from either of those airports.

Read this website to see how Avis charges for their toll package: www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

Depending on the time of day and the airport you're departing from, you do not have to use the Turnpike .... you can use I-95 which will be a little slower, but will save on the tolls. Again a map will show you the route.

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Miami to Disney World in Orlano

Hi there. I agree with #1 you're talking about two airports about 30 miles away from each other (MIA) and (FLL). IMO it'll be asier to get on I-95 from either airport and then catch the turnpike about 60 miles from Miami. FYI the turnpike runs paralel to I-95 for the most of the route. In fact I-95 it's a faster road because the turnpike it's only two lanes and I-95 it's 3 and 4 lanes at certain points. And you don't have to worry about having to pay a toll. But if you insist on taking the turnpike you can figure on paying about no more than $15 on tolls all the way from Miami. And I'm sure you'll have to pay for your own tolls. Good luck.

Sydney, Australia
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from Miami to Disney World in Orlano

Thanks Ahhah and Kyle2009. I should have made it clearer. I'll start from Fort Lauderdale International Airport. On the Google map, the Ronald Reagan Turnpike is also marked as the road having the code 91. I am not sure whether it is at state level or city level. Likewise the I-95 is inter-state but it also has the code 9 on the map. Sorry if I confuse everyone as I am from Australia and not familiar with the road/highway system in US. Thanks again for the kind advice.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,640 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from Miami to Disney World in Orlano

I don't think you'll see that 91 marked on any paper map or on any of the signs on the roadway. And I don't think the signs are even marked as the Ronald Reagan Turnpike just the Florida Turnpike.

When you get to Florida ask for the nearest place to buy a Florida map (you'll get them at gas stations, convenience stores and even big stores like Walmart and Target).

www.mapquest.com gives the correct names/numbers for the roads.

Btw, I sent you a private message.

Edited: 10:51 pm, November 24, 2012
Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive from Miami to Disney World in Orlano

I live in Deerfield Beach, in the Fort Lauderdale area, real close to I-95.

And I guarantee you that, you could be in for a nightmre if you try to catch the Turnpike out of the aiport. Because you would have to follow 595 and with all the construction going on because they're expanding that road you can easily get lost becuse it's a huge construction project. Not too long ago I missed my exit because they have the temporary road signs at ground level which makes it hard to see. Catching I-95 it's real easy out of airport. FYI you don't have to waste your time trying to buy a map at Walmart or at a gas station. All you have to do is stop at McDonalds or Burger King and pick a copy of the "Florida Travel Saver" or any other coupon magazine. They're loaded with maps showing hotel locations throughout the state. That's what I used on my last two trips to Orlando. Then when you get to Orlando buy a map at Walmart. I'd like to know why this other poster doesn't want to share her/his information on this forum.

Sydney, Australia
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive from Miami to Disney World in Orlano

Thanks, Kyle2009. That's a very good piece of advice. If I use I-95 to go to Disney World in Orlando, I am sure I need to get off I-95 at some stage as it goes along the coast while Disney World is inland. But I am I can look that up on the map.

Just a side question, I'll stay at Fort Lauderdale for one day before boarding a cruise. I would like to go to Miami and do a day trip there. Is the train (Tri-state) the best way to go from Fort Lauderdale to Miami? If not what other mode of transport can I take? I'll be staying very close to the Port area at SE 17th Street.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,975 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive from Miami to Disney World in Orlano

The best way to Miami Beach from Ft L is by car.

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive from Miami to Disney World in Orlano

If you decide to use I-95, there are planty of exits to get you to the Turnpike. Near Ft Lauderdale, they are a mile or two apart. Further north, they run side by side. The Turnpike has much more limited access than I-95, and has much less traffic in general. If you decide to take I-95 as far as you can without being inconvenient, exit in Ft Pierce.

If you look at the online maps, FL 91 and the Florida Turnpike are the same road. It is not called FL 91 on any road sign.

www.floridasturnpike.com

www.sunpass.com

Look at the above website for toll amounts and additional fees from the rental car companies.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drive from Miami to Disney World in Orlano

Hey,

Don't know if you've done this trip yet. But I've done it many times, in both directions (at least twice a year). As everyone has said, there are lots of options. My little one sleeps for about two hours in the car so we try to time it right. If you have a young one, the issue you will face is no where to really pull off the Turnpike on your way from FLL to Orlando. Depending on time of day, 595 to the Turnpike is fine. But if you go North on 95, the Turnpike and 95 are fairly close to each other. as was suggested, you can take 95 up to Ft. Pierce. We often make the switch around Boca as my wife likes to shop.

10. Re: Drive from Miami to Disney World in Orlano

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, December 16, 2013