We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hour layover long enough?

Which Miami hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
hartford, ct
Level Contributor
40 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Hour layover long enough?

Hello all,

I'm trying to plan my honeymoon and one of the cheapest flights has an hour layover in Miami before connecting to Cancun. As I know the airport is quite large and at least from reviews, quite often a mess, is the layover long enough should we have to switch terminals, etc.? Same airline so I won't need to collect bags or anything.

Thanks!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,442 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hour layover long enough?

Since it's the same airline can you find out the arrival gate and the departure gate from the airline? If you don't have to switch terminals you'll be okay, if not I wouldn't chance it. Although the airline shouldn't give that connection as a valid one if it would be impossible to make it.

South Florida...
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,644 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hour layover long enough?

One hour should be enough but it's still tight. If your flight is the last Cancun flight of the day, I would not do it.

vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
4,590 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hour layover long enough?

personally, i would say 1 1/2 hours minimum for a connection outside of USA and if you do somehow miss your connection, be aware that the airline is not responsible for you missing the connection.

I would not chance it; perhaps you can find an earlier flight with a longer and safer connection time of at least 1.5 hours to 2 hours of layover.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,233 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hour layover long enough?

The South Florida Sun-Sentinel (subscription barrier) reports problems getting through customs in a timely manner.

m
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
6,316 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hour layover long enough?

The poster is apparently going out on an overseas flight, so customs and immigration should not be a factor. Foreign flights do tend to take longer to checkin due to people taking too much luggage in general, but seems luggage is checked through and doesn't need to be manually transferred. Main problem will be if incoming flight is late, otherwise you should be able to make the connection.

hartford, ct
Level Contributor
40 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hour layover long enough?

Sorry for the late reply... But yes, as RK2005 said, I will have already gone through security etc and not have to pass through customs. I'm just concerned that an hour might not be enough time to get my connection TO Cancun. Coming back through MIA I have allotted plenty of time to get through customs and connect.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
585 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hour layover long enough?

I think one hour is too tight....any delays in your outbound flight and you will at best run to the connecting flight, at worst miss it. Are there any other subsequent flights in case you miss your connection?

hartford, ct
Level Contributor
40 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hour layover long enough?

there are several additional flights from MIA-CUN so should we miss it, there should be others we can hop on...

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
585 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hour layover long enough?

Then you are good without worry about getting stuck.

10. Re: Hour layover long enough?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, December 14, 2013