We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two weeks in December - What to do?

Edinburgh...
10 posts
Save Topic
Two weeks in December - What to do?

Hello everyone. Me and my boyfriend are arriving in Tampa Bay on the 22nd of December and are leaving on the 5th of Janurary, basically wondering what we should do? My bf has been to Florida a few times, Orlando, Crystal River etc so I think we would like to stay more in the south coast where it is a little warmer. Was just wondering what we should do and where we should go?

Thanks

Edited: 1:28 pm, October 06, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Special Offer
Miami to Key West Day Trip Tour With...
394 Reviews
from $65.00*
$75.00
Miami Speedboat Tour with Star...
60 Reviews
from $38.00*
Special Offer
Miami Everglades Airboat Adventure...
343 Reviews
from $51.00*
$58.00
Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two weeks in December - What to do?

Fiona,

I have an inkling that you are young. We might do better recommending activities if we had just a bit more information about your age group and things that would interest you. Some visitors are avid tavern hoppers and club goers, others want to know all about snorkeling and dolphins and alligators. Give us a hint as to what would appeal.

Edinburgh...
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Two weeks in December - What to do?

Geoff,

Your incline is right - we are a young couple, 24.

We've got a rough plan now, but can't decide between the Keys and Miami. Think we'll do both but don't know how long to spend in each.

We're more interested in activities during the day than nights out.

Looking for snorkling, kayaking, cycling etc (the Keys?). But also want to try some new watersports like water skiing etc (Miami?) Would also love to try surfing but I don't think South Florida is the place for that, is it?

In the evenings we'd prefer somewhere we can have dinner and a few drinks, but not big nights out.

Any suggestions would be gratelly appreciated.

Thanks,

Fiona

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
14,359 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two weeks in December - What to do?

F>

Can you break down the days? I'd suggest a few at Pennekamp Park in UPPER Keys and perhaps Key West. No surfing I'm afraid unless there is a "weather event..." and you don't want that.

Check hotels in Islamorada.

AG

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Islamorada
Islamorada
Florida Keys, FL
Florida
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two weeks in December - What to do?

Spend some time on Miami Beach and the head to the Keys for several days. I'd pick one Key and use that as your base. You could explore during the day. Key West is 4 hrs south and not for everyone. Look into a couple of Keys and post on their forums to find one that suits you.

As for water sports I've lived here for a long time and haven't heard of people water skiing. But you could rent jet skis, go snorkeling, you could even get certified to scuba dive if you'd like. There is plenty to do down here and in the Keys that you don't even really need to plan tons.

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Edinburgh...
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Two weeks in December - What to do?

Hi everyone

Thanks very much for your help. We've worked out a plan with a week in the Keys and a couple of days in Miami! Can't wait!

Thanks

6. Re: Two weeks in December - What to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 pm, December 14, 2013