We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Miami-area stay questions

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
78 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Miami-area stay questions

Hi,

We're an active, healthy couple nearing retirement age. We're from L.A. and have never visited south Florida. We'd like to be somewhere interesting, where you can walk to restaurants, but not in a loud party scene. The Everglades and maybe the Keys are also on the agenda.

We like vacation rentals as well as hotels, with beach access as a real plus. Free parking and free wifi, please.

Any suggestions? And by the way, is there snorkeling in SoFL and where? This trip will probably happen in early December or January.

Thanks.

Best Seller
Speedboat Sightseeing Tour of Miami
168 Reviews
from $38.00*
Special Offer
Key West Day Trip
398 Reviews
from $49.99*
$75.00
Miami to Key West Day Trip with...
31 Reviews
from $39.00*
miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
14,645 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Miami-area stay questions

sweis>

Check out sunspotmiami.com and airbnb.com for private rentals on South Beach (1-23 Streets are best). Like LA, there is no free parking but there are MANY garages in the Art Deco District.

Maps to print southbeach-usa.com/maps/miami-beach-maps.htm

In the Keys, I like Casa Morada, Cheeca Lodge and Hawk's Cay.

Stop in to visit the Glades the morning you drive down to the Keys.

nps.gov/ever/planyourvisit/coedirections.htm

And plan a half day snorkel at John Pennekamp Park coral reef.

AG

Edited: 3:52 pm, October 03, 2012
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
78 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Miami-area stay questions

Thanks for your reply! I didn't make the query completely clear, however.

I'm really not keen on staying in South Beach. Isn't there an alternative? It could be Fort L., Balmoral, Biscayne -- I dunno. We have Art Deco and youthful hipsters up the wazoo in L.A. I want serenity, beauty, calm, in a walkable location. I don't want to be "in the middle of the action.

The rentals I've looked at so far don't impress: they look like the apartments where my relatives died off back in the 70s. At a projected nightly rate of $120-150, I suppose we will have to look further afield.

Thanks again.

m
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
7,849 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Miami-area stay questions

I recommend the south of fifth (SoFi) area, the southermost half mile of south beach. It is pretty quiet compared to the more busy areas, yet you can walk to most places, or use the 25c local bus. In particular please check this private condo rental st the Fountain condo (300 block Euclid Ave):

vacationrentals.com/vacation-rentals/32844.h…

The owner is very reliable, and it includes wifi and (street) parking.

Florida
Level Contributor
3,754 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Miami-area stay questions

Look at Coconut Grove or Coral Gables as an alternative. No beach access but sounds like you'll have a car and can explore the Key Biscayne and other beaches.

Best snorkeling will be in the Keys. Pennekamp state park has several trips a day. The water will be chilly so think about renting (bringing) a wetsuit.

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
14,645 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Miami-area stay questions

sweis>

Check out the Daddy O, the New Hotel, Hotel Urbano, the Standard Spa, maybe Mutiny in Coconut Grove...

AG

6. Re: Miami-area stay questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 pm, December 14, 2013