We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advisor Girl - Doubletree grand to Coconut Grove

Scotland
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Advisor Girl - Doubletree grand to Coconut Grove

Firstly, Is the Doubletree grand hotel next to the Omni Metromover & Bus stations. Can I travel public treansport from the hotel to Coconut grove direct or would I have to change mode of transport? In other words best way to get to Coconut Grove without taking a cab all the time. Thanks

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
14,087 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advisor Girl - Doubletree grand to Coconut Grove

Welcome Back Fraserburgh>

Check out this post from a group visiting from the UK who stayed in the area...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g34439-i35-k478166…

The transit info is here:

…wikipedia.org/wiki/…Metromover

You can take the Omni loop METROMOVER train for free to the Government Center and transfer to a not-free southbound METRORAIL train to Coconut Grove. There is an eastbound walk from US-1 toward Coconut Grove or you could take a taxi from the station (which will not cost much and I suggest you do this...)

Is there a particular place in the Grove you're visiting? Let us know.

Enjoy!

AG

Scotland
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advisor Girl - Doubletree grand to Coconut Grove

Thanks Girl for the link. We were going to Coco Walk for Shopping mainly but also to walk around and also hoping to see villa Vizcaya and look around that area. I may of course end up taking a taxi. Have you any idea what the cost is from Doubletree Grand to Coco Walk

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
14,087 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advisor Girl - Doubletree grand to Coconut Grove

Fraserburgh>

It costs too much. Let's plan this together!

I just telephoned the hotel and got the front desk. I quizzed them not-so-gently about services for guests.

Nothing.

I had hoped they offered a shuttle service to South Beach or Coconut Grove.

Nope.

They did say they are right near the METROMOVER OMNI stop. That is free as I mentioned and loops around the city. The rest is out of your pocket. Sorry - I used a REALLY sweet voice but they were having none of it.

I will say that the shops at Cocowalk are largely the same chains as the shops on Lincoln Mall on Miami Beach (which is closer, thus cheaper to access by bus or taxi...) Vizcaya is lovely. Make a day of it and see old coconut Grove! Here is how to get there directly -

OH! This is a sunny day plan - do not bother if it's raining... this is a GARDEN. Wear comfortable shoes.

Take the Omni loop to the Government Center and transfer to the Metrorail.

Proceed to the Vizcaya station.

Cross US 1 on the pedestrian bridge.

Continue in the same direction, 1 block to South Miami Avenue.

Cross SW 32 Road and proceed to the crosswalk.

Cross South Miami Avenue to enter Vizcaya.

Hours are 9.30 - 4.30 though if you're visiting during summertime, try to get there early as high noon in the garden will be sticky HOT. Adults $12, Kids $5, Under 5 yrs - free.

Take a (perhaps $5) taxi from Vizcaya to lunch at SCOTTY'S LANDING (the driver SHOULD know the way but it is at 3381 Pan American Drive 305-854-2626

Just in case, tell him it's next to the Coconut Grove Convention Center - You will see the Coconut Grove Convention Center on your right side. Make the first right turn onto Pan American Dr. Drive past divider with the trees on your left, and the parking lot for Scotty's Landing & Grove Key Marina will be on the left.

This is a locals-only spot you will looooOOOove. Really just picnic tables and umbrellas by the marina and a casual seafood "fish and chips" menu. Here is the menu (& yes my GREAT SCOT they have a full bar):

http://www.sailmiami.com/scottys.htm

After lunch, ask them to point you in the direction of Cocowalk and

give you a shove. You can walk there.

Enjoy!

AG

Scotland
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advisor Girl - Doubletree grand to Coconut Grove

I am very grateful to you for the Itinerary. We are in Miami post cruise from 7th to 11th MAY so we will probably head down to Vizcaya in the morning then as you say take a taxi to SCOTTY's for lunch and spend some time at the Grove before heading back to the hotel. Thanks again and I will post when I get back. I like the Bar Menu as in America you have a lot of light coloured beers such as Coors, Bud and Millers but i like a real beer like Neewcastle Brown Ale and bass and i see they have that so i will be happy. No mention of Whisky though. Still the wife would not let me have that in the daytime anyway. Why do you think she does not want me to drive? I see they have Dolphin Sandwiches on the menu. This is not real Dolphin is it as the wife is a great dolphin lover.

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
14,087 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advisor Girl - Doubletree grand to Coconut Grove

fraserburgh>

Whiskey? Why we're kindred spirits!

Yes - feed your wife a great FLIPPER sandwich and give her a whiskey to wash it down!

Look at this: http://tinyurl.com/jw6jw

"Dolphin" in America is menu speak for Mahi Mahi (aka Dorado). It's a medium white/brown fish that is more flavorful than the white white (honestly tasteless) "fish and chips" fish... They grill it here as it's hearty and has a bit of oil to it that stands up to the grill. Honestly - it's my favorite as it is plentiful in these waters.

SCOTTY's will have whiskey - a full bar.

Bass and NewCastle are available here. No worries!

AG

Scotland
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advisor Girl - Doubletree grand to Coconut Grove

You have my taste buds working overtime. We are from a fishing port so we are fanatics for fish & chips so I will compare. Really looking forward to it.

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
14,087 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advisor Girl - Doubletree grand to Coconut Grove

Fraserburgh>

Here are the pages with transport maps:

http://miami.about.com/od/transportation/

http://tinyurl.com/n4ldf

Bonus trip idea!

Late afternoon before sunset, take the free Omni Loop to the third street station. Venture down the steps from the elevated platform and as you emerge from the gates, turn left and you'll see a cool drawbridge. Walk across the bridge and you'll find Miami's First Pub!! Est. 1912

Tobacco Road holds the oldest existing liquor license in the history of Dade County. Its 87-year-old history for debauchery has been chronicled in newspapers, magazines, and books. The "Road" is not merely a bar, it is a legend. It was a speakeasy and gambling hall during Prohibition years and a hangout of mob boss Al Capone. During World War II all of its licenses were revoked by a Judge on charges of "lewd, wanton and lascivious" behavior. Until the early 1980s the police moral squadron annually raided the bar. The "Road" has managed to survive Prohibition, hurricanes, the Depression, the revocation of its liquor license and attempts by the city of Miami to have it legally shut down.

626 S Miami Ave

Miami, FL 33130

Mon-Fri 11:30am- 5:00am

Sat-Sun 12:00pm- 5:00am

Tel: (305) 374-1198

Live bands nightly, essentially a blues bar but if you check the website you'll see the acts vary. Pop by before sunset and sample the MANY drink options. There is an open air back patio if the weather's nice. After a while warming up you might want to have dinner... walk back out to Miami Ave and turn right toward the south corner to find The River Oyster Bar. Lovely choices of local seafood and fresh oysters from all over the planet. If you find it's too pricey, Tobacco Road has a bar kitchen with nightly specials, but treat the Mrs. to a nice dinner and she'll forgive the whiskey!

Have a nightcap at Big Fish - it's literally under the drawbridge across the parking lot from Tobacco Road (ask someone to point the way as it's tricky back there and we don't want you falling into the Miami River). If you've watched MIAMI VICE you'll know the Miami River is filled with secrets... don't become one of them!

Big Fish 55 SW Miami Ave Rd

www.tobacco-road.com

www.therivermiami.com

Have a great trip!

AG

Scotland
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advisor Girl - Doubletree grand to Coconut Grove

I have taken off all the links you have given me. You say to go to Tobacco Road - a great number from The Beatles - before Sunset but is it safe to wander this area after dark. My wife watches every episode of C.S.I. Miami on Satellite in fact usually two episodes per night. When I see it I get worried it might give her ideas, too gorey for me to watch especially with a trip to Miami so soon. Thanks for all the ideas especially the Blues music one as I love listening to a twosome of Sax and piano. We may not be able to do everything you suggest as we still have to fit in a visit to. Aventura mall. Can't come home without some Dora the Explorer gear for the Grands

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
14,087 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advisor Girl - Doubletree grand to Coconut Grove

Fraserburgh>

I just love Dora!

Tobacco Road is truly an old worn out pub. Most of the music starts after dark. That said, it doesn't get dark lately til nearly 8. I'd suggest you arrive before dark and enjoy an evening out at the pub, visit the restaurant and (checking the website in advance to see if there is a combo to your liking) ... stop back in after dinner to enjoy the music.

Though it's not exactly like C.S.I. and that darling ginger headed David "Horatio" Carouso - have the bartender call you a taxi back home.

Be safe, have fun...

AG

Scotland
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advisor Girl - Doubletree grand to Coconut Grove

Thanks for all your help AG. Have printed out your replies to take with me so i will be able to do some of your suggestions. Will post when I return. byw my eldest grandaughter who is 3 tears old in June is the great Dors fan and she loves the Trainers (sneakers) with the flashing lights.

Take care and keep up the good work.