We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help us on our forth coming trip to Miami/Sunny Isles

ENGLAND
Level Contributor
9 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Please help us on our forth coming trip to Miami/Sunny Isles

My family and I are travelling to Miami in April and staying at the Beachside resort hotel in Sunny Isles. I did not do my homework before I booked this trip and have been searching the web sites over the last couple of days for reviews and am really worried about coming. One site advised not to visit Miami unless you want to return in a body bag!! The hotel also has bad reviews especially about the building work that has been going on. I have two children so am really worried at the moment about my choice. I would really appreciate personal reviews from anyone who knows this hotel and the area. Should we look to book else where perhaps some where up the coast or do you think I am worrying unecessarily? Please advise, many thanks x

Cincinnati, Oh
Level Contributor
461 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Please help us on our forth coming trip to Miami/Sunny Isles

We stayed at Newport Beachside pre & post cruise. We had 2 kids (9 & 11) with us so we didn't want to stay IN Miami even though that is where we left port. When we arrived at the hotel there was only 1 room ready so we all went to that room, which turned out to be wrong from what we reserved, but the front desk put us in another room. I had to wait 2 hours and mine still wasn't ready so they upgraded me to an Executive Suite on the 10th floor. They still had damage from the hurricanes and consruction was going on everywhere,our hotel and the hotels on each side. My room had 2 balconies, but the one balcony door had cardboard in place of glass. The room was clean and comfortable which was most important. The beach was nice and easy to walk, the kids had a great time playing and there we plenty of beachchairs. The pool was small, but we didn't use it. We walked Collins Ave. to see what was there, we did not find a place to eat suitable for kids, so we had our meals in the 2 resturants in the hotel. The food was fine and portions large. The pier outside was closed due to damage, hopefully they have it fixed by now along with the other repairs at the hotels. You could not sleep in due to the construction noise. On our post cruise stay things seemed to be running a little smoother. Check out is 11 a.m. but we stayed until 1:30 p.m. without being charged the usual extra charge. We are coming back next year for another cruise out of Miami but will probably be staying closer to port since will we not be traveling with the kids.

We have been doing research on places to stay, but the majority of reviews haven't had many nice things to say unless you want to spend BIG BUCKS!!! I hope this helped you and I think you will be o.k at the hotel if all their repairs are done.

ENGLAND
Level Contributor
9 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Please help us on our forth coming trip to Miami/Sunny Isles

I really appreciate the telephone numbers and the advice thank you I am hoping to take my husband and children to saw grass mills I believe that is the best shopping outlet. Any more advise is greatly appreciated Thanks x

ENGLAND
Level Contributor
9 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Please help us on our forth coming trip to Miami/Sunny Isles

Thank you for the newport beach review you are all so helpful

sim
Sunny Isles Beach,FL
Level Contributor
521 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Please help us on our forth coming trip to Miami/Sunny Isles

Newport Beachside is budget hotel,not the best, but not the worst neither, it is on the beach and that is a plus. The hotel is run down and needs remodeling. I have never been inside, but outside it needs work. Unless you got a great deal, for a little more money there are better options. I disagree with the statement that there are no restaurants children friedly in the area. There is every possible fast food chain, like Pizza Hut,Toney Roma's and Burger King just to mention a few,that children like. There is also Chinese food buffet. They are all across the street (Collins Ave).

As far as shopping there is Aventura Mall about five minutes away by car.

Enjoy!

Miami
6 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Please help us on our forth coming trip to Miami/Sunny Isles

Well Miami is a beautiful place to visit. There are several attractions where you can take your kids to visit Ex: Miami Seaquarium, Metro Zoo, Monkey Jungle. It all depends what your kids are intersted in.

ENGLAND
Level Contributor
9 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Please help us on our forth coming trip to Miami/Sunny Isles

Monkey Jungle sounds fun where is it and apart from monkeys is there anything else there? Thanks

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
13,778 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Please help us on our forth coming trip to Miami/Sunny Isles

Edward the 15th:

Monkey Jungle is quite a long drive from Sunny Isles. Will you be renting a car? Just follow the Florida Turnpike South to exit 11 labeled Cutler Ridge Boulevard and Southwest 216 Street. After exiting, follow Southwest 216 Street 4 miles west. Monkey Jungle will be on your right hand side. The site offers discount coupons here:

www.monkeyjungle.com

In Sunny Isles, also consider Ocean Point as it is a newer building and apparently offers more of an apartment/hotel layout - you'll save a bundle being able to keep breakfast and snacks and ...adult beverages in your own kitchen! Read reviews on trip advisor as they vary.

www.oceanpointresort.com

South of the Haulover Park is a Best Western Oceanfront Resort that looks moderate and gets good reviews on this site - 9365 Collins Ave - (305) 864-2232 This might be the most reasonable option for your family and right on the shore (rate $129 a night)... In my opinion, you might do better here than at the Beachside.

www.bestwestern.com

Just north of Haulover Park is a very simple motel called Ocean Palm Motel which is directly on the Ocean and very retro looking from the street. 15795 Collins Avenue, Sunny Isles Beach, FL 33160 Tel: 305-947-5671 Toll Free Reservations, Gifts & Specials, and Detailed Information: 1-866-29-BEACH

This is a very modest spot but gets good reviews. It is the closest to Haulover Beach Park which features both family friendly options like a golf course, kite flying, fishing boats to charter, as well as a fully clothing optional stretch of the northern part of the beach IN ADDITION to the southern beach which is a regular family friendly picnic tables and BBQs fully clothed area (it's quite a large park area so you'll not be bothered if you're made uncomfortable by the nudists - they keep to the northernmost portion).

There was a posting a while back for the Sea View Hotel - an old, upscale hotel, right across the street from the malls of Bal Harbour.

www.seaview-hotel.com

The hotels I've listed span the shoreline from Surfside through Sunny Isles - a distance by car of just 5 minutes time. The options run the gamut from full service to apartment to a quiet comfortable simple bedroom. It's your option.

Good Luck!

AG

Liverpool, England
Destination Expert
for St. Pete Beach
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Please help us on our forth coming trip to Miami/Sunny Isles

Be careful what you leave in your room at the Best Western Oceanfront....see my review October 05