We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental Toll Admin Fee Scam

Toronto, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Car Rental Toll Admin Fee Scam

HAs anbody tried filing a compliant with the Florida attorney generals office, I know in NC you can.

88 replies to this topic
Miami, FL
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Car Rental Toll Admin Fee Scam

This is the first sign when you enter the rental car center

…photobucket.com/albums/…Toll1.jpg

This is the second sign near Dollar

…photobucket.com/albums/…toll2.jpg

And here is an ad over the nice lady's head at the Dollar counter.

…photobucket.com/albums/…toll3.jpg

Sorry Tourist, not feeling bad for you at all....There's also signs in the gates as you leave the airport, but my job doesn't let me take photos in there.

Edited: 11:43 am, October 04, 2012
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Car Rental Toll Admin Fee Scam

Do not take the advice of most Locals on this matter - It is exactly why at times they are the last people you believe or trust. They have some fantastic local knowledge - because they are locals and know the place as a local, behave like a local. Visitors are arriving in a different country, dis- orientated (at times) tired, - going through MIA ( don't let's get on that ) - My advice - if you are not confident that you can get a sunpass and handle sorting it - go with the deal - yes it's a rip off - yes it sucks at times - most who post here won't know where the rolling replacements of toll technology is apart from their local driving routes - most will avoid them - or if they drive through won't really register - it's second nature. Pay up - us tourists are going to be ripped - cut it to the minimum - it happens everywhere.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,747 posts
Save Reply
43. Re: Car Rental Toll Admin Fee Scam

Nice, miamiyogi ... seems like Dollar has covered the bases so to speak. Of course, they're still the most expensive as far as admin fees go.

I would expect all the other rental companies have the same or similar signs.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,552 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Car Rental Toll Admin Fee Scam

I would complain to Dollar in writing, and ask your card company for a charge-back refund (less the tolls actually owed)_.

Dollar has a duty to inform you of the toll system they operate and give you the option of signing up for it. If you say they didn't, that isn't allowed either as it is their duty to do so. Although I suppose they could have mentioned something and you misunderstood what they said.

But this should form the basis of your complaint.

But be prepared to say why you saw the words TOLL Road and din't take the fist exit off, as you knew you had no way to pay arranged.

As a side note, you can buy a sunpass Mini at all major drug and grocery stores which costs $5 and included $5 worth of tolls. You then call them to activate it (with your rental licence plate number) and link a credit card to it to top it up. you stick it on your windscreen as advised and away you go. Then cashless tolls are easy, and no violations to pay.

I will again stress that your problem is with DADE county cashless tolls, and not the state of Florida so you should not slate the entire state for the actions of one county.

Miami, FL
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Car Rental Toll Admin Fee Scam

Martin, I agree, and I disagree.

Yes I am local, but I do travel a bit. I always try to keep in mind the perspective of a visitor. I also get to play host to many people that visit so I use their perspective as well.

I won't forget visiting Denver eons ago, and accessing an automated toll system accidentally before I had even heard of such a system. I got charged $15 for the infraction. I didn't get mad at the rental company, or swear never to visit Denver again. I shook my head and got mad at myself for not paying closer attention, paid the fee and moved on.

I think the toll system is well advertised in the airport as you can see from my links.

The poster in question here declined the toll option (which you have to x on the contract and initial) thinking "hee hee, I'll save $16.00" and got burned for $250. If you think $8/day for all included tolling is expensive, consider the millions of dollars in technology and development, the man hours to keep the system running and databases updated, etc. There wasn't a consensus to figure out how to rip tourists off.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Car Rental Toll Admin Fee Scam

Yogi - I am not having a go at you here - ( I have been following this board for a long time) Locals give seriously bad advice to foreign tourists on this one.

As I said at the end of the post - pay up - even if it may be to others a rip off. Failure to do that can result in a situation like this. (an even bigger rip off!)

It's a re- occurring theme here and foreign visitors need to be given advice that doesn't leave them feeling like this about SO FLA (only my opinion)

Tortola
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Car Rental Toll Admin Fee Scam

Does someone know "Economy Rent a Car"? I am looking for a rental in Miami and the prices of this company are so different from the others that I got a bad feeling... on the other hand, to pay 600 when I could pay ca 450 is hard... Is this a serious company? Are they inside of the Rent a Car Airport Area?

Many thanks!

m
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
6,618 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Car Rental Toll Admin Fee Scam

Sorry I'm not familiar with the company. They seem to be based in Costa Rica. They don't have a desk inside the airport Rental Cr Center (RCC), but a separate office about a mile away. Hopefully they provide a shuttle from the RCC.

You may want to compare with the reliable local company - Royal Rent-a-car, which does have a desk inside the RCC.

If you do end up renting from Economy, please let us know how it turned out.

49. Re: Car Rental Toll Admin Fee Scam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 pm, July 13, 2013

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
115 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Car Rental Toll Admin Fee Scam

I just want to thank everyone for the info on which rental companies to avoid. I just canceled Thrifty and booked Enterprise. Paid $12 total more but went from a standard to full size :)

Reply to: Car Rental Toll Admin Fee Scam
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted