We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car from Port of Miami

Appleton, Wi
Level Contributor
177 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Rental Car from Port of Miami

Can someone give me any info on renting a car after getting off the cruise ship at the Port of Miami. We will need to be picked up at the Port, taken to the car rental pick-up point and then dropping car back off at the Fort Lauderdale Airport one week later. Thanks, Packrfan

miami, fl
Level Contributor
627 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car from Port of Miami

When you leave the Port, you will see a whole row of taxis waiting to take people where they want to go. Just ask them to take you to the closest Hertz, which will be close to MIA and I'm sure you can rent a car there and drop it off at FLL. Hope this helps.

baltimore
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car from Port of Miami

Thrifty, Hertz, and Alamo have free shuttles to the Port of Miami from their rental sites. I couldn't find any other car companies that do. You can pick up in Miami and drop off at Ft.Lauderdale. We rent ILO the shuttle bus because for 3 prople its cheaper.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
366 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Car from Port of Miami

When we cruised from the Port of Miami, Hertz picked us up at the ship and took us in their shuttle to their rental office - which was close to the ship. They were very accommodating.

West Columbia, Texas
Level Contributor
62 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Car from Port of Miami

We will need a rental car at Port of Miami in Oct 2007. Does anyone have updated information? Thanks, Leitaluetta

Philadelphia
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental Car from Port of Miami

we too need more infor about renting a car to get to the port of Miami - our cruise is at the end of August/2007. We will be arriving into Ft. Lauderdale the night before the cruise - so we shouldn't have any problems renting a car from the airport. Does anyone know of a cheap hotel that offers free breakfast - and which car rental places offer free shuttles from their drop off point in Miami to the port? Thanks for all your help!

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
65 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental Car from Port of Miami

Are free shuttles still available from the Port of Miami (after a cruise) to rental car sites? An earlier post said that Hertz would pick you up from the ship free. Is this service still available and which car rental companies offer it? Does it make a difference where your ship is docked? What about pre-cruise dropoff of your rental car? Do companies use a similar shuttle to get you to your ship after dropping off your car?

Thanks.

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
13,808 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental Car from Port of Miami

Hi All>

I posted updated info on cruise Rental cars and places to visit here on TA

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g34438-c11219/Miami:F…

and also on 3 separate maps I made for you to print on GOOGLE:

Port Area> http://tinyurl.com/2wavz8

SoBe Area> http://tinyurl.com/2vojh6

Car Rental> http://tinyurl.com/2u6hft

Bon Voyageeeeee!!

AG

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
65 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental Car from Port of Miami

Wow Advisorgirl,

Kudos to you. That information was wonderful! Just one more question. I didn't see a list of Miami beaches. I know parking can be a problem, so we are looking for a nearby, drive to, beach, with easy parking. Any ideas? Would like one more beach experience before going home to Alaska. We have all day and staying at a hotel near the airport before flying out the next morning. Thanks.

michigan
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental Car from Port of Miami

I used Dollar as my car rental. I picked up the car at FT. Lauderdale airport and drove to Miami. At the Miami drop off location, they took me to the cruise port. I had to wait about an hour though, I think they were waiting for all cruise passengers that might need the shuttle to the port. Upon my arrival after the cruise, I used Dollar again. They shuttled me to their Miami location, I picked up my car and drove to FT. Lauderdale. The shuttles were free.

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
13,808 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rental Car from Port of Miami

OK Sour>

But one day I will trade this bikini for a parka and come to Alaska and you will make me a cup of tomato soup and tell me NOT to cry.

Print this map:

southbeach-usa.com/maps/collins-shopping-map…

That big white box at 7th and Collins is the garage. The beach awaits you 2 streets East.

It's 81 degrees right now - when do you get here???

AG