We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New to cruising...better to book a cruise from Miami or...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
334 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
New to cruising...better to book a cruise from Miami or...

Hello everyone!

We would like to go on a cruise for our honeymoon. We will be staying in Argentina for two weeks and then landing in Miami. We are wondering if we should book the cruise now or should we wait till the day we get to Miami. We are going to be there in mid-May. Also, could you recommend a good cruise ship. Carnival seems to be the cheapest so far..but is it good? Thanks and Happy Holidays!

The Poconos
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New to cruising...better to book a cruise from Miami or...

Hope I'm not too late to respond to you. Do NOT go on Carnival unless you are in the 20-something drink-all-night group. It is the cheapest for a reason. I have sailed with Royal Caribbean 5 times now and it has been wonderful. We are young, too so there's still lots to do just not a "Girls Gone Wild" atmosphere. Be sure to go on a new ship, preferably Voyager-class.

Also, book it early. Why take the chance with it being full? If you do it before you leave you can fill out all your forms online and make everything that much speedier when you get to the port.

As a matter of opinion, do the Eastern not Western. The Western is rather run down and you get hassled a lot by the locals. The Eastern goes to St. Thomas, St. Maarten, San Juan and Nassau....the last 2 I don't even get off the boat to see anymore. There's nothing there that can't be seen the first 2 hours so don't spend big bucks on tours there. Bon Voyage!

The Poconos
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New to cruising...better to book a cruise from Miami or...

Hope I'm not too late to respond to you. Do NOT go on Carnival unless you are in the 20-something drink-all-night group. It is the cheapest for a reason. I have sailed with Royal Caribbean 5 times now and it has been wonderful. We are young, too so there's still lots to do just not a "Girls Gone Wild" atmosphere. Be sure to go on a new ship, preferably Voyager-class.

Also, book it early. Why take the chance with it being full? If you do it before you leave you can fill out all your forms online and make everything that much speedier when you get to the port.

As a matter of opinion, do the Eastern not Western. The Western is rather run down and you get hassled a lot by the locals. The Eastern goes to St. Thomas, St. Maarten, San Juan and Nassau....the last 2 I don't even get off the boat to see anymore. There's nothing there that can't be seen the first 2 hours so don't spend big bucks on tours there. Bon Voyage!

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New to cruising...better to book a cruise from Miami or...

I agree with the above poster about Royal Carribbean, you will have a wonderful cruise.

Book NOW! If I am understanding you right you want to go on the cruise after your trip to Argentina? You will probably not be able to book right before the cruise. If you want a nice cabin start looking now, go right to the Royal Caribbean web site and check it out you can book right there and get a great cabin.

Voyager Class or Radiance Class are such nice ships and both leave from Miami.

Lots of activities on the ships. May should be a good time to go, not too many kids.

Funcruiser

Coventry, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: New to cruising...better to book a cruise from Miami or...

Hi, hope I'm not too late in replying. We did a Carnival cruise out of New Orleans in the summer of 2004. It could not be faulted! Our party of 5 (myself and my husband in our 40's, our 15 year old son and our 2 friends in their 50's) had a wonderful time. We went on the Conquest to the Western Caribbean. The ship was everything we had expected and more. I can honestly say that it was the best holiday I have ever taken. I am sure if you book with Carnival you will not be disappointed.

We are cruising again in September, but decided to book with Royal Caribbean on the Navigator Of The Seas sailing out of Miami to the Eastern Caribbean. This was simply because they offered us a great deal when I rang them with a few questions. Got a discount of ������400(GBP)off their website price for a party of 4 in 2 balcony cabins. It's definitely worth ringing them and seeing what they offer before booking over the net.

Whichever cruise you decide on, I would certainly book it now rather than wait until you get to Miami. This way you won't have the hassle of checking cruises/prices etc when you're on honeymoon.

Hope this helps - whatever you decide, have a great time. Happy sailing!

ME
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: New to cruising...better to book a cruise from Miami or...

If you haven't booked it yet then do so from home - don't wait! We have cruised with Carnival several times prior to children and it's been wonderful! Taking our next cruise in May and bringing the children this time - rest assured I wouldn't be bringing them if I didn't feel comfortable with the cruiseline. They have changed a bit on the itineraries but there's always something to do! My suggestion is to take tours that don't take up the entire time in port and allow for some time for yourself to enjoy the shops or beaches. Enjoy and Best Wishes!

Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New to cruising...better to book a cruise from Miami or...

I agree with the others...Royal Caribbean is much better than Carnival. Much classier & better food!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
72 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New to cruising...better to book a cruise from Miami or...

Hi, I am planning to take my family on a 7 night Carribean cruise from Florida in September. My kids are 10 & 11. Which cruise company and itinarary do people reccommend please? We are coming all the way from Australia, so would like to see and experience other cultures and highlights as much as possible.