We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time visitors from the UK, what are the 'must do's'

Leeds, Yorkshire, UK
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First time visitors from the UK, what are the 'must do's'

My best friend and I arrive next Tuesday for a week. We're staying at Eden Roc and want to pack in as much as possible. We're pale skinned English Roses so we don't do sun worshipping but what else is there for us? We want to hire a car and do the air boat trip down in the Everglades and obviously some great shopping too! Where should we eat, what should be see, we like the luxury end of things - we work hard so we're really treating ourselves on this holiday. We'd be really grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First time visitors from the UK, what are the 'must do's'

A useful Miami information web site: http://www.miamiinfo.com

Two of my favorite restaurants:

Porcao Steak House: www.porcaosteakhouse.com

Los Ranchos: www.losranchossteakhouse.com

miami
Level Contributor
428 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time visitors from the UK, what are the 'must do's'

If you like to shop you should try Sawgrass Mills it's a huge outlet mall in broward. It's one of the top tourist attractions plus you get great deals specially at Neiman Marcus. Take comfortable shoes because it's a walk and it will probably take you a full day. I am a local & love to shop there

miami
Level Contributor
428 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time visitors from the UK, what are the 'must do's'

A nice place around your area is the Forge Restaurant, pricey, but you can have dinner or you can have drinks by the bar. Then you can go into Jimmy'z the club in the permises. The crowd here is very nice and the music is great. If you like the luxury end of things this is one of the places to be.

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time visitors from the UK, what are the 'must do's'

we returned from miami 4 weeks ago, i am fair skinned and needed factor 30 cream, it gets very hot , you will need to cover up at the everglades, it is very windy and you will burn! we enjoyed bayside , you can do boat trips from there and go to the hard rock cafe .i thought that aventura mall was nicer than sawgrass mills for shopping , much more upscale but go in the week as weekends are manic, the cheesecake factory was great and the food was fabulous. go to fort lauderdale, it is loveley, we werent very impressed with south beach at all, i think it depends on your age. we thought it was like blackpool with sun! the same with lincoln road. bal harbour is very chic with some fab shops if you like luxury, we only window shopped for when we win the lottery! there are also some nice places to eat there .the sunny isles website has some good ideas on it if youre stuck.

London, England
Level Contributor
2,172 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time visitors from the UK, what are the 'must do's'

You'll like the Eden Roc, i stayed there when i was in Miami last year, it's just far away enough from the hecticness of SoBe, but close enough that you don't feel you are missing out! *lol* I'm going back in Aug and i'm debating staying there again, but the Ritz Carlton is also tempting me!

I love Bal Harbour, very glam, to me Collins Ave, Ocean Drive, etc, is just a tad tacky, a bit like Oxford St/Piccadilly Circus in London but with a beach! Like the last poster, i also really liked Bayside Market place and boat tours they have there are pretty good too.

If you are into clubbing, i really liked Opium, and the Sky bar in the Shore Club, Nikki Beach is also cool too.

I'm sure you'll have a great time, just remember to stock up on the sun screen, i'm mixed race and was using a factor 12, and i got sun burnt last year!

Mentioned in this post
JERSEY CHANNEL...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First time visitors from the UK, what are the 'must do's'

hello we are 8 guys who love to party [ straight no offence] we are going on holiday to miami in december and would love to here about all the hot spots and things to do any suggestions much appericated. thanks a lot.

JERSEY CHANNEL...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First time visitors from the UK, what are the 'must do's'

Hi Dbone and his seven mates 10 weeks till our Miami holiday would love any tips for great bars and clubs, not to young prefer age group 35---45 . A couple of guys like to go fishing not to expensive, and any thing thats a good laugh we all just want to have fun . Appreciate any info. Thanks again.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Miami Beach
Level Contributor
1,595 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time visitors from the UK, what are the 'must do's'

Hi DBONE, I'd suggest you focus your attention towards "Miami Beach" rather than "Miami". Know that "Miami Beach" is a sperate city from Miami and has it's own forum on this web site. I'd search that forum for ideas and post future questions regarding Miami Beach on that forum.

Having said that, thinks like fishing and non-SoBe (short for South Beach) have 50-50 chance of response on either forum.

As you will be there for so long, you should have lots of time to do about everything! A couple of weeks ago, someone posted a great response to things to do while in Miami/Miami Beach for the person who didn't want to go to the beach everyday. Try searching for "zoo" and "aquarium " in "Miami Beach" and "Miami" in the body of the message and I think you could find it without too much trouble.

Mentioned in this post
thinkparis
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time visitors from the UK, what are the 'must do's'

There are some great sightseeing opportunities. You might not like the beach, but some of the most beautiful views can be had at night on the water. I suggest you take a Palm Beach Princess dinner cruise. I think it's a great idea to go on a Airboat Tour, I know there is a good one offered by the Go Miami Card which just opened (I used the one in Orlando and had an amazing time, I also got to come back here and do some of the Miami things with it and I did the Gator Park Airboat Ride which goes into the Everglades)

For entertainment, I recommend The Clevelander it a hotel with bars, food, and a great young-fun atmosphere. Perfect for a visitor. The galleria has a fabulous Saks 5th avenue and Neiman Marcus. The Miracle Mile in Coral Gabels is still popular and I would suggest it if you've never been. There is also the upscale Village of Merrick Park which is an upscale outdoor shopping center which has N. Marcus, Armani, Gucci, and more.

Be avised however not to buy expensive items in places like downtown Miami which has trouble understanding the word "Warranty" many visitors have a problem with this as some trip advisor posts suggest :D

Hope you have a great time!

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL