We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

really need help

Canadian Rockies...
Level Contributor
464 posts
Save Topic
really need help

Husband and son going to Miami sept14 for a few days and then on to Orlando. I know Miami is very big but do not havr a clue as where to stay that is reasonable. Son is early 20 and not into clubs but loves shopping and would like some fun things to do. They were thinking of baseball game maybe sat or sunday and then taking the amtrak to orlando. I also just found out there is a shuttle called transfloridian to orlando. I guess they need to stay somewhere that is handy (and safe) in order to get their transportation to orlando. Please advise. thanks so much.

Mount Dora, Florida
Level Contributor
655 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: really need help

The Marlins last home game is Sept 12th until Sept 20th.

The Amtrak is an interesting trip. The train is often late, but it is still a train ride. There is a club car and you can walk around the train. The transfloridian shuttle will be faster and maybe cheaper. The shuttle leaves from the airport so,

They could stay in Coconut Grove or Coral Gables both good safe shopping, eating and fun destinations. They would be a 15-20 minute cab ride from the airport.

For the train you have to go to Hialeah. That could be a longer cab ride or the metro rail and then a 2-3 block walk.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,794 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: really need help

Coral Gables is a prime neighborhood (actually, an independent city) with upscale shopping (big new mall), loads of restaurants, the Venetian Pool, and lots of ambiance from its founding period in the 1920s. It looks as though the Hotel Ponce de Leon is still operating. I was there once, a decade ago, and would willingly try it again. September is off-season, so there might be bargains at more upscale places.

pedestrianguides.com/CoralGables/Hotel.html

The magnificent Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden (sort of a scaled-down Kew in the near-tropics) would be worth a taxi ride from Coral Gables.

Sept 14 is at the very height of hurricane season, so they should expect to be flexible. The probability of bad weather is low, but if it's bad, it could be anything from black downpours in the middle of the day to major damage and loss of electricity and water. Coral Gables will NOT flood and would not be evacuated.

3. Re: really need help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:24 am, September 02, 2009