We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American Airlines Arena

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
American Airlines Arena

We would be taking a cab (unless there is a cheaper and easier option?) from the Miami Beach area. Is it easy to be dropped off before a Heat game, and then is there a specific area to be picked up at afterwards? Is there anything else to do in this area, restaurants nearby, bars? I've read the area is pretty safe, with the large numbers of people around for the games. I wouldn't want to get stuck there with no way back to the Beach area though, or have to wait an hour to catch a cab. ??

Thanks in advance.

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
13,829 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: American Airlines Arena

Pearl>

You can hop on the A or S bus before the game and get to the arena easily ($1.50pp) and then take a taxi back or hop on the metromover to Omni and transfer back to the A bus. Best option is bus there and cab back... OR

If you want to make a fun night of it, taxi to Soyka Restaurant on 55th & Biscayne and have dinner about 1.5 hrs before the game and tell the hostess you want to take their shuttle to the game. Return on the shuttle to the restaurant and taxi back to your hotel.

The restaurant is great before and for drinks after. The area around the restaurant is "better" than the area around the arena to enjoy your meal or drinks. 305-759-3317

soykacafe.com

AG

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: American Airlines Arena

Is the bus system in Miami safe? I know here in Memphis it is definitely not and (sad to say, but honestly) it is only used by the very lower class (financially speaking).

Miami
Level Contributor
228 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: American Airlines Arena

The arena is about a 2 minute walk to Bayside, which is an outdoor type open-air mall with nice shops, stalls and restaurants. I haven't been there in about a year, but I'd say it is safe to assume they have a Hooters, a Limited, probably a Gap. I think there is a nice Nicaraguan restaurant there. There is a food court and several bars. A Hard Rock too if I'm not mistaken. Many people like it, but it is rather "touristy". It is on the water so if you like being on the water, then you might like it. I wouldn't call it a "hip" or "trendy" place. It is a convenient place to get a cab (there are always cabs in line there) and to be dropped off. Somewhat like South Street Seaport in NYC. I'd guess that most people who live here only go there when they have people visiting from out of town.

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
13,829 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: American Airlines Arena

Pearl>

If you are uncomfortable with public transport, by all means take a taxi. The shuttle bus from the Soyka restaurant is not public - I believe they charge $5pp - but please telephone before you go to be certain they are offering the service on the night of your visit.

There is a restaurant and bar called Bongos at the arena if you want to stop in for a drink.

www.bongoscubancafe.com/miami/home.html

Enjoy

AG

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: American Airlines Arena

Thanks for the help! I don't mind public transportation, in cities where it is commonly used by everyone (Chicago). In Memphis, sorry to say, someone like myself would be an easy target for harassment or mugging on a bus. Lots of crime here unfortunately. Thank you again for the info; we'll probably end up taking cabs just for the independence and ease of it.

Mount Dora, Florida
Level Contributor
655 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: American Airlines Arena

There will be a line of taxis waiting at the AA arena after the Heat game. Have the cab drop you at that place on your way into the game.

Before the game Bayside is the place to eat, there really isn't much else close by.

Los Ranchos is my usual choice, but Bubba Gumps is ok too.

At halftime people walk into Bongo's for a drink, you can get in from the arena. I don't know if people go before the game.

A really nice restaurant is near Brickell Ave. , Perricone's, but you will have to take a cab there and another to the AA arena.

Another good choice is Gordon Biersch brew pub on Brickell near Perricone's. Again two cab rides.

After the game, all the attendees walk fast with their (our) eyes on the ground, get in our vehicles or the people mover and leave downtown. It is still pretty sad downtown.

You will be in your cab and gone before the police leave.

It is safe enough. There will be 1000's of fans and 100's of police.

7. Re: American Airlines Arena

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 pm, August 28, 2009