We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexico Beach

Augusta Ga
Level Contributor
1 post
122 reviews
Save Topic
Mexico Beach

Is the water in front of Mexico beach clear and blue? We like the sound of the el Governor hotel but we must have the crystal clear waters. So........should we stay ay mexico or go on over to Panama City?

Opp, Alabama
Level Contributor
568 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mexico Beach

Unless you require a lot of activities, I would recommend Mexico Beach. Most of the properties there are on the other side of the road from the beach so if beachfront is important, make sure el Governor has that. If you like a faster pace and more of a crowd, you might prefer Panama.

The water is generally the same throughout the gulf coast, but seaweed, june grass can show up anywhere, about anytime. If anyone can predict how the gulf will act in a particular location at a particular time, they will get very rich!

Valdosta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mexico Beach

We absolutely love Mexico Beach, just got back Saturday from our millionth stay. But the water wasn't as pretty last week- which may be good for you because normally it will be cruddy (only in color) for a week or two, then clear up. But it wasn't seaweed floating everywhere. I didn't have any seaweed in the water with me at all. It just wasn't crystal clear blue, like it is some years. But Panama City's wasn't that clear the day we went over to eat at PIneapple Willy's either. We MUCH, MUCH prefer to stay at Mexico Beach and drive to PCB one night, for dinner, putt-putt, etc, though there's plenty to walk around and do or just relax there in MCB. And some of my family likes to drive in during the day for shopping at Pier Park (in PCB) but I'm not crazy about that. Mexico Beach has some cute shops to take up a couple hours of your day, if it's raining or something. I've stayed at the El Governor probably half a dozen times and it's pretty nice. Try to get in the annex portion (just say annex and they'll know what you mean) and you will literally walk out your back door onto the beach. But you could probably get a rental house for the same amount of money, which is what we do every year. I've only stayed at the El Gov for long weekends or when I was in college. We loved MCB so much, we would go there for Spring Break and drive into PCB at night to party. And my teenage nieces love it now. You must go to Tommy T's for an ice cream cone!

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
239 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mexico Beach

El Governor is one of the few hotels on the beach. I would also suggest staying in a condo on the beach. For a week, it is anywhere from 700-1000 depending on the season. Could be a lot less now.

For the beach, they are not like the beaches in Hawaii where it is completely absolutely clear. The waters in PCB and Mexico Beach are a green color and are much more "clear" than Daytona Beach for example. (Living in both places, I can say without a doubt MB is a far cleaner and beautiful beach and I love the white sands)

A condo is a great bet if you decide to grill out and cook some meals of your own. There aren't a lot of restaurant choices, where PCB has a lot of choices. But if you're looking for less crowd I suggest MB.

Visit Cape San Blas as well, I always like to visit the bay. CSB has beautiful beaches as well.

southern il
Level Contributor
37 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mexico Beach

We are thinking about visiting MB this summer... Sounds like it is more affordable.. We would like a beach house.. walking distance to Beach and a balcony overlooking beach.. suggestions? I am frugal : )

5. Re: Mexico Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:08 pm, June 07, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Mexico Beach