We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Ponce de Leon...
1 post
Save Topic
Looking for a room/cottage rental ON the beach for a family

I am looking for a rental in a hotel/condo/motel/cottage for myself and children. Would love something only a few steps from the beach, not huge and in a price range thats affordable in this economy. Looking to stay the week of July 19, 2010 for 2-4 days.

grady,al
Level Contributor
304 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a room/cottage rental ON the beach for a family

Look on VRBO.com - they now let you put in the dates you want to go and see what is available according to dates. We have had okay luck using VRBO in different areas of the Gulf Coast. We will be there next week, staying in St. Joe Beach, but it is across the road from the beach, with no houses in front of us on the beach side. It takes a lot of searching, but may work out. If you email the owner, they will sometimes give you a last minute deal. My aunt says the El Govenor hotel/motel is nice also.

grady,al
Level Contributor
304 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a room/cottage rental ON the beach for a family

Look on VRBO.com - they now let you put in the dates you want to go and see what is available according to dates. We have had okay luck using VRBO in different areas of the Gulf Coast. We will be there next week, staying in St. Joe Beach, but it is across the road from the beach, with no houses in front of us on the beach side. It takes a lot of searching, but may work out. If you email the owner, they will sometimes give you a last minute deal. My aunt says the El Govenor hotel/motel is nice also.

SW Georgia
Level Contributor
52 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a room/cottage rental ON the beach for a family

We love to stay at El Governor in Mexico Beach. I stayed there with my very young children when I vacationed as a single parent & now that I am remarried, it is still one of our favorite vacation places. The El Governor isn't fancy, but it is a great place to stay with kids. The hotel sits right on the beach & has a moderately sized pool. We travel with a food box & cooler, unpack the car & leave it for our entire vacation time. Cooking saves us BIG time on our budget, which was even more important when I was a single parent. We take cereal type breakfast items, charcoal & grilling items to cook out & usually a frozen lasagna to bake in the oven. If you are looking for a family & kid-friendly place to vacation or get away to the beach without worries about a party-type crowd, blaring music on the beach, questionable swim suits, etc.-then Mexico Beach & El Governor is right for you. If you are looking for dazzling nightlife or a "happening" beach scene-then this is not the place you are looking for. Traveling with small children, I have always felt safe vacationing here. :)

SW Georgia
Level Contributor
52 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a room/cottage rental ON the beach for a family

Sorry...my mistake. Just saw the vacation dates of the original poster...hope you found a great place!

5. Re: Looking for a room/cottage rental ON the beach for a family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 02, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Mexico Beach