We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mars
Level Contributor
215 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Fishing

OK...we're almost ready to go! A couple of last minute questions. We're flying into Melbourne and staying in Indian Harbour Beach. Where is the best place to buy a fishing license and is there any fishing off the bridges? Thanks.

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,531 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing

www.myfwc.com for the license. The three bridges that I can think of are a little tall and have too much traffic to fish from. There is a huge restaurant called Sqid Lips under the Eau Gallie bridge with a small beach. You can always ask them about fishing. I think there are a couple of parks on the river as well.

I fish from the beach, but Indian Harbour has a line of rocks that you will not see at high tide. I have lost many a rig out there. It is much more sandy south of US 192.

If you have time, I would also travel down to Sebastian Inlet State Park. There is huge pier as well as river and beach fishing. It is about 20 miles south of Indian Harbour.

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
677 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing

Go to Harry Goode's fishing store on New Haven Ave just across the 192 bridge to downtown Melbourne. Web site is www.fishmore.com 321-723-4751. Buy your license, ask your question and you'll get your answer from 50 year Melbourne area fishing experts. This is a 15 minute drive from Indian Harbor.

Both the Eau Gallie and 192 bridge have low spans that you can fish. Both bridges have causeways that are fished.

Surffish is correct that Sebastian is worth the drive. Surf fishing along this beach is very popular.

Mars
Level Contributor
215 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing

Thanks, everyone. Now for nice weather!

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
13,739 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishing

There are catwalks under the causeways you can fish from as well as along the seawalls. I see more people at the 192 causeway fishing than I do at Eau Gallie. There are also some low bridges to fish from. However catfish are plentiful so bring your pliers and and old towel so you can get them of the line. Or else bring plenty of hooks. Live bait works best, there is a tackle shop in the little plaza on Eau Gallie blvd that sells live bait, fishing licenses and like Harry Goodes will have some good local info on whats biting and where.

There is also a pier just north of 192 on the east side of the causeway (right by the church) that a lot of people fish from. Surf fishing will need heavier tackle and so will fishing from the Sebastian Inlet jetty. There are a couple of bait shops on your way to the inlet too. Its worth a drive down there just to check it out. Pack a lunch and spend the day.

You can also get your fishing license at any Wal-Mart but you won't get the good fishing info that you will get at the tackle shops. On your way to Sebastian Inlet you will see some public parks in South Melbourne beach. Many people surf fish there. You have to check the tides, ect. Lots of people use clams for bait. I think they catch permit and pompano with those. Live bait for snook, etc.

Don't forget to pick up a copy of the fishing rules and a tape measure as the game officer is very strict and will fine you if you keep fish you shouldn't have. Lots of rules and they change all the time.

Good luck, it sounds like the weather will be great this weekend!

Mars
Level Contributor
215 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fishing

Thanks, good info!

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
13,739 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fishing

Meant to say the tackle shop on Eau Gallie Blvd is in the plaza next to MeeMaws BBQ. Harry Goodes shops is nicer as it has clothing and other things to look at while there. Don's shop is strictly bait & some tackle and you can watch him while he makes custom fishing rods for people. He does a really nice job.

Another note if you try to surf fish along IHB there are a lot of rocks in that area so you will have to try to find a spot that is clear.

7. Re: Fishing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 20, 2011