We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

non-beach nature experiences

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bath
Level Contributor
160 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
non-beach nature experiences

We plan to go to Florida at the end of October & am looking for outdoor experiences, like hiking - nature settings - not beaches. We will be in the areas of Tallahassee, Melbourne & Everglades. Any suggestions?

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
13,521 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: non-beach nature experiences

A lot of people seem to like this wildlife area:

http://www.fws.gov/merrittisland/ which is located in Merritt Island only about 20 minutes north of Melbourne. Erna Nixon Park is also a nature preserve located in Melbourne near the Melbourne Square Mall. Sebastian Inlet area altho beaches is also very nature oriented. South of the inlet is a road called Jungle Trail that meanders thru beautiful oaks and is a nice drive or bike riding area. You might look into one of the airboat tours on the St. Johns river. If you go early morning or doing an evening tour you will see more wildlife than mid-day. There is also an area called the Sebastian Buffer Preserve located near the St. Sebastian River / C-54 Canal. There are several hiking trails which are also used by horse riders. No ATV's or motor vehicles allowed past certain points. However this is primitive. The only water is a pitcher pump and there were no facilities last time I was there however they do have plans to build something.

Tallahassee has a historical walking tour of the city. There are probably other things to. Contact the chamber of commerce of each of the areas you are thinking of visiting. They usually have an info package they will send you.

For the Everglades check keymoms posts. She has great info. You might post your questions on the Florida Keys or Miami forums for info.

One more www.foreverflorida.com which has hiking, horseback riding, etc.

Bath
Level Contributor
160 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: non-beach nature experiences

Bornwithwheel:

Thanks for your thorough response - that looks very helpful.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
13,521 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: non-beach nature experiences

Also take a look at www.myflorida.com and click on visitor and www.visitflorida.com. Both have great tourist info on the whole state. There are a lot of great nature experiences and off the beaten path. You will get tons of info here on TA.

Will give you some keys info on your post there.

Bath
Level Contributor
160 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: non-beach nature experiences

bornwithwheel:

Thanks. I didn't know about myflorida.com

Anamosa, Iowa
Level Contributor
104 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: non-beach nature experiences

In March 2009 my son and I took a kayak tour with A Day Away Kayak tours in the Merritt Island wildlife refuge area, and really enjoyed it. We had booked the nighttime phosphorescent tour but due to nature's vagaries, the creatures that cause the phosphorescence were not active when we were there. Their website is easy to find- adayawaykayaktours.com - there are a number of trips of varying lengths and exertion levels. I had good advice, good communication and was happy overall to have found this outfitter. Have a great trip!

Anamosa, Iowa
Level Contributor
104 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: non-beach nature experiences

PS - I did see that you were looking for non-beach experiences - but I have to say that the Canaveral National Seashore is a beautiful unspoiled area , I think they have hiking and opportinities away from the shore there.

7. Re: non-beach nature experiences

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, July 21, 2010