We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kids at marco islands

Which Marco Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ma
3 posts
Save Topic
kids at marco islands

what is there for young kids approx 7-9 years old at marco island never been here before vs cacoa beach only been to orlando very busy. thx mike c

Kansas City, MO
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: kids at marco islands

There's not a whole lot for kids of any age to do at Marco Island, outside of the beach and the resort pools.

Our 11 year old dd is one of those kids who can't spend enough time in the ocean (or Gulf), so she was fine while we were there. But, if your kids are not water babies and the beach doesn't hold much appeal for them, they won't have much to do.

Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: kids at marco islands

Some things to do with kids 7-9 ---let see......

An Everglades Airboat ride (about 15 minutes from Marco) - try these websites for info on Airboat rides -

Capt. Dougs --http://www.captaindougs.com/

Speedy Johnsons -- http://www.speedyjohnsons.com/

Everglades Island Airboat Tours -http://www.airboateverglades.com/

A dolphin encounter on the Dolphin Explorer - website

marcoislandconcierge.com/dolphin-encounters.…

Fishing, shelling and sightseeing - affordable plus kids and families welcome with Capt Bill Walsh - website

http://www.dawnpatrolcharters.com/

A day at the Naples Zoo withy daily shows, exhibits, tguided boat tours through islands of monkeys, see tigers, monkeys, snakes, alligators..... - website is

http://www.caribbeangardens.com/

Naples Botanical Garden has a wildlife trail and a butterfly house

www.naplesgarden.org/htmlSite/index.html

If they like skateboarding or inline skating - try the Sanctuary skateboard park near Coastland Mall

Park Description:

22,000 sq ft Street Course, Mini, Bowl, Vert (Outdoor). Sessions: 3 hours,

Members $3.00 Non Members: $10.00 one Session / $15.00 two sessions.

Go to Walgreens Drug Store on Marco Island and buy kites to fly on the beach - or a cheap fishing pole and go to the Judge Jolley Bridge where a fishing pier runs along the water below the bridge

Check the current exhibits or programs at Rookery Bay Estuarine Reasearch Reserve (off 951 which is the road entering Marco Island from Naples/41) - website is

http://www.rookerybay.org/

There are things like Birding Festival in January, History and Archeology Festival in March, Coastal Clean Up project in September, Science Saturdays in January -- there are also walking trails and bridwatching available year round -

Rainy days are great movie days - Try Marco Movies - you can select seating at round tables with large comfortable barrel chairs and food is served at your table - not a full restaurant menu, but you can get things like hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken wings, salads, beer, wine -- not your everyday movie theater -

http://www.marcomovies.com/

Marco Island Library - on Heathwood Drive also ofers a number of kids programs - magic shows, weather education, safety with animals, make a gift (jewelry making) - check their schedule at

…collier-lib.org/programs/kids-branches-mi.h…

There are Volleyball nets at Tigertail Beach if they would like to try Volleyball or pick up a cheap Badmitton net at Kmart and let the kids try badmitton on the beach ----

Morris County, New...
Level Contributor
75 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: kids at marco islands

pattib22 - thanks for the info. very helpful. answered lots of my questions too. we are leaving monday for MI. staying for 6 days.

Kansas City, MO
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: kids at marco islands

We tried for 4 days to see a movie at Marco Movies. First 3 days everytime we arrived, all the movies were sold out.

The 4th day, I arrived as soon as the box office opened and pre purchased our tickets for the evening show. We arrived 30 minutes before showtime and were told they were sold out. I explained that I had bought our tickets for this showing earlier in the day. They just told me, "too bad, we always oversell tickets". Our money was refunded, but once again we were unable to go to the movies. The concierge at the Hilton said this was a very common occurence at Marco Movies, they always oversell tickets, and even if you have pre purchased your ticket, you need to arrive at least 2 hours before start of the movie in order to guarantee to be seated, and even then you may not be able to sit together.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: kids at marco islands

memphisbelle.. what time of year did you experience this please.. we've been twice in July and never had that problem???

Kansas City, MO
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: kids at marco islands

To UnsureNow,

We were there that last 2 weeks of June. It was the most frustrating experience. Even after buying show tickets in advance, we were turned away. The manager didn't even apologize, just insinuated that it was our fault because we didn't arrive 2 hours before the start of the movie. We did get our money back, however it didn't help dueto the fact that our plans were ruined for 4 nights in a row.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: kids at marco islands

Thank you Memphisbelle... I too really dont understand why you have to be there TWO hours prior to the start of the film.. goodness sake the cinema isn't that big...(ok more than one screen)... who on earth wants to be there 2 hours before especially with kids?

not me thats for sure.... anyway here's to wherever you end up for your hols this year.have a good one.....Byee

Kansas City, MO
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: kids at marco islands

UnsureNow,

This year we will be at Ft Myers Beach.

We loved the idea of having dinner while watching a movie and the whole experience really left a bad taste in our mouths. Our 11 year old daughter was really disappointed each and every time we tried to see the movie. I was told by the manager (owner?) that they always over sell tickets, number one, it's the only movie theater in Marco Island, and number two, it's common practice there.

There is a lot to do in Marco, for kids, but almost everything is highly expensive, so we needed to pick and choose. Everything we did from jet ski rental, to air boat rides, to shelling excursions cost at least $160.00 for the three of us. So, camm77 be prepared topay alot for all the activities.

michigan
Level Contributor
326 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: kids at marco islands

I'll second everything negative said about Marco Movies...BAD!

We bought our tickets 2 hours before the movie then returned to hotel. Came back 1/2 hr. before movie was to start and only 4 single seats remained, all scattered. My son was only 8 and no one would move to accomodate us so atleast one of us could sit with him! Husband asked for a refund but they wouldn't give one because technically there were 4 seats and said we should have known better than to leave after buying our tickets (2 hours ahead). Give me a break, how is a first time tourist supposed to know that!

It is a very small theater, very small movie screen. Totally over hyped.

My family loved Marco Island but we probably won't return, we feel like we did it once and we'd rather move on and try a different area.

We were there over Easter, yes it was busy at restaurants and the hotel but everything was doable.

10. Re: kids at marco islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:24 am, August 31, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Marco Island