We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condo rental vs hotel on Marco?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
Condo rental vs hotel on Marco?

Hello,

We are a family of 4, (kids ages 1 and 4) looking to vacation in Marco Island in March or April. We have visited several times before and have always stayed at Marco Beach Ocean Resort, which we love. This year the resort seems much pricier than in past years and we are looking for an alternative (or a discount, if anyone knows of one!).

We like that MBOR is an all-suite hotel so when the kids fall asleep we can go to the other room. We also like it's service, beachfront location, and the fact that there is a pool.

I have looked briefly on VRBO and have found a 2 bedroom condo, end unit, that is updated, in the south seas resort. It is beachfront. I am wondering if this is a good choice for us? Or are there other condo communities we should consider? We are not familiar with the rental options as we have always stayed in a hotel in the past. We do prefer a place that is updated, with a good view.

Any suggestions or additional info would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
for Marco Island, Everglades National Park, Goodland
Level Contributor
4,038 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Condo rental vs hotel on Marco?

I have done the hotels and for my life style and interest I now do beach condos or canal houses.

Hotels are expensive and lack all the amenities that I require on a vacation.

SST Upside

Million Dollar views of the crescent beach ... if you get the right side ...

SST Downside

Long walk to the to the Gulf

SST has a campus of people ... 4 towers of 19ish floors ... can be lots of people

Email me for more specifics about SSTs.

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,344 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Condo rental vs hotel on Marco?

We prefer renting a condo or house over a hotel for several reasons. You will have SO much more privacy as a family when renting a condo/house, you have full use of the pool/hot tub anytime you want, the cost of a hotel is generally MUCH higher, you can cook your own meals and grill out at home, and many more! Although there are several condo complexes along the beach, we usually rent a condo or house within a couple of blocks of the beach. We try to find one on a canal, so that we can have the water view, without all the sand (don't get me wrong . . . I LOVE the beach and go every day, just prefer to stay a few blocks off). I have heard mixed reviews of South Seas and, as MR said, it is off the beach a bit, but you could definitely find what you want on the beach if you search around a bit.

Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Condo rental vs hotel on Marco?

How long are you planning to stay on the island? The length of your stay will eliminate some of your choices.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Condo rental vs hotel on Marco?

Thanks for the suggestions. We are looking at 5 nights but could do 7 if we really found a place we liked and there was a minimum stay. Are there any upscale condos on the beach that have beach chairs already on the beach? The actual walk to the beach from south seas is not a problem for us - it is carrying beach chairs, plus 2 kids, plus all their stuff that becomes problematic! If the beach chairs/umbrellas are already there it makes such a difference. This is probably not the right forum to ask, but we would also be open to other areas on the southwest gulf coast besides Marco Island.

Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Condo rental vs hotel on Marco?

Check out the following: SeaWinds, Apollo, Somerset condos. All are weekly rental and all are on the beach. The walk to get to the beach from these buildings is a snap even with gear. Paul's is a business on the beach that you can rent beach chairs and umbrella's from and it is not too far from any of these south end condos--by the Marriott Crystal Shores building.

There are also some timeshares on the island which will rent by the week. Google timeshares on Marco Island and you will get some options. You can also search this forum for weekly rentals and you will get some detailed info.

Many owners who rent condos on the beach or homes within walking distance will provide you with a beach cart. You can put all of your beach gear on the cart which makes for a much easier walk to your spot on the beach.

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
for Marco Island, Everglades National Park, Goodland
Level Contributor
4,038 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Condo rental vs hotel on Marco?

The magic of Marco is being on the beach and watching the sunset each night. All the beach condo's (except South Seas Towers (SST)) are directly on the beach ... you are ... 50-100 feet from the water. Only a few condos rent weekly. In peak season you can only rent a weekly condo rental from Sat to Sat.

Regarding chairs/umbrella on the beach ...

- All chairs must be removed every evening from the beach ... the City beach tractor combs the beach each morning

- none of the condo's have condo association chairs on the beach, nor do they take chairs out to the beach each day

- all condo associations have association chairs at their pools (but you can't take them onto the beach)

- a few condo's do have tiki huts (for shade), not many and they tend not to be used since they are on condo land and NOT close to the water

- MOST condo owners have umbrellas/umbrella screws/beach chairs, for your use, at the beach. You usually don't need to buy chairs. But ask them about it before you rent! Some beach condos have the small carts for the chairs but you tend not to use them. Also the salt water and climate eat up chairs so I have bought many a chair and left them at the condo for the next renter.

If you have any questions about condo's let me know, I have rented all the weekly condo's on the island.

Edited: 3:35 pm, November 29, 2013
Marco Island...
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Condo rental vs hotel on Marco?

We've also stayed at MBOR a few times and love it. But we have also stayed at a condo (Somerset) and timeshare (Club Regency - right next door to MBOR). We've gone so far to purchase our own interest in a timeshare at Marco. Check out VRBO or HomeAway. What will be nice about some of the timeshares and condos is the addition of a washer and dryer. But you will lose the afternoon sorbet on the beach and, possibly, free beach lounges and umbrellas (but you can rent them on the beach). Most of the condos are two bedroom condos, so you would have a bedroom for the parents and a room for the kids.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Condo rental vs hotel on Marco?

Thanks for all the helpful input - after extensive research on condos, we ended up booking at MBOR with a reasonable rate through their black friday sale. If we end up coming back for 7+ days we will definitely consider a condo, but for our 5 day trip this was the best option for us.

9. Re: Condo rental vs hotel on Marco?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 05, 2014