We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just got back from 9 days at Marco!!

Lakeville, Minnesota
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Just got back from 9 days at Marco!!

We had an awesome time, but unfortunately we stayed at the Radisson which they are indeed closing and blowing it up sometime after July 10th. Get out if you can, it is majorly neglected.

But on the up side, here are my tips if you are going:

The sea shell hunting was awesome right off the beach, we walked every morning around 8:00ish and we found amazing medium sized conchs, zillions of other shells. We also picked perfect sand dollars right off the bottom of Gulf at low tide (you can buy Sand Dollar hardner at Walgreens to get the sand dollars home)

Charter Fishing: My husband and son booked a charter with Captain Chris Keagle (K Gull Charters 239-537-5268), they were gone all day and they caught some really big ones for a very reasonable price ($250) I hightly recommend calling him to book your own fishing excursion.

Tin City was great in Naples, there are a lot of boutique type shops and restaurants, it was good thing to get out of the sun for a couple of hours.

Marco Island Top 5 Restaurants

1. Cathy O'Clarke's Irish Pub - everything is homemade, even the bread, Grouper Sandwich - Awesome (we ate there 3 times)

2. Ne Ne's Kitchen - great breakfast, clean and quaint, great prices

3. Hoot's - another great breakfast, great prices (local's favorite)

4. Porky's Last Stand - great ribs and bbq, huge portions - get there early it get's crowded

5. Captain Briens Seafood - brought in our own fish from fishing trip and they cooked them up with all the fixings

Lot's of hours at the beach, it is one of the most beautiful I have ever been to.

Kansas City, MO
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just got back from 9 days at Marco!!

KelBel:

We will be arriving in Marco July 7th. Can't wait! We had booked our trip through Travelocity and we originally booked at the Radisson. I found out (througha poster on this site) that the Radisson would be closing. Our dates our July 7th through the 15th. I called Radisson and they said they were indeed closing July 10th. Which meant we had no place to stay for 5 days. What a mess. To this day, the Radisson still has not bothered to contact us to let us know they are closing. Just really makes me mad that they continued to take our reservation and money, knowing they would be closed after our 3rd night there.

Anyway, which restaurant served the best seafood? Crab Legs, Lobster, crab cakes, etc..? Also, any of them offer Escargot?

Will definately do the Tin City thing. This was recommended by another poster as well.

Glad you had a great trip.

By the way, we ended up having to book at the Hilton. Did you happen to check it out, i.e., dinner in one of their restaurants, etc.?

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
34 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just got back from 9 days at Marco!!

MemphisBelle

Try the Hilton for the buffet breakfast -- I can't remember a price (but it was high, probably $16 per person) but it is a very nice selection of juices, coffee, fruits, pastries, made to order waffles and eggs, etc in the dining room that overlooks the beach, or you can sit in the screened dining area that also over looks the beach.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
34 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just got back from 9 days at Marco!!

Also, the Hilton has a fantastic happy hour in a beautiful, quiet and cool bar -- 2 for 1 drinks -- great bartender, too!

Lakeville, Minnesota
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just got back from 9 days at Marco!!

The Hilton is right next store to the Radisson, it is a very nice Hotel, we walked through it to check it out. You should be very happy there. Who know's you may make the viewing of the blowing up of the Radisson. Make sure you will be on the North Side of the Hilton, because there is only a tennis court between the Hilton and the Radisson. We didn't eat at the Hilton. I usually stay away from Hotel food (overpriced and average).

I had lobster tail at Cathy O'Clarkes, it was awesome and it is located across the street from the Hilton and the Radisson. We also had Grouper and there special Buffalo wings were honey crusted with just enough bite, I have never had them anywhere like that. There food was so fresh and delicious, you at least have to go there once. Lunch prices are offered until 2:00 p.m. which saves you a bit.

We also had seafood at Snook's (expensive and average) and Capt Briens (also in the mall right by the Hilton). I had stone crab which was expensive and obviously I knew it was late in the season and they weren't very good (I should of known better). The fish we had there was the fish my husband caught, so we knew it was very fresh.

I don't remember seeing escargot, but that isn't something I look for.

I hope this helps. You will love it. The one thing we noticed are some restaurants were closed or only open certain hours. Apparently Floridian's take vacation in June/July and they have limited hours. So call ahead or ask the concergie for any information. Breakfast and lunch places are only open until 2:00. (Ne Ne's Kitchen and Hoots)

Lakeville, Minnesota
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just got back from 9 days at Marco!!

The Hilton is right next store to the Radisson, it is a very nice Hotel, we walked through it to check it out. You should be very happy there. Who know's you may make the viewing of the blowing up of the Radisson. Make sure you will be on the North Side of the Hilton, because there is only a tennis court between the Hilton and the Radisson. We didn't eat at the Hilton. I usually stay away from Hotel food (overpriced and average).

I had lobster tail at Cathy O'Clarkes, it was awesome and it is located across the street from the Hilton and the Radisson. We also had Grouper and there special Buffalo wings were honey crusted with just enough bite, I have never had them anywhere like that. There food was so fresh and delicious, you at least have to go there once. Lunch prices are offered until 2:00 p.m. which saves you a bit.

We also had seafood at Snook's (expensive and average) and Capt Briens (also in the mall right by the Hilton). I had stone crab which was expensive and obviously I knew it was late in the season and they weren't very good (I should of known better). The fish we had there was the fish my husband caught, so we knew it was very fresh.

I don't remember seeing escargot, but that isn't something I look for.

I hope this helps. You will love it. The one thing we noticed are some restaurants were closed or only open certain hours. Apparently Floridian's take vacation in June/July and they have limited hours. So call ahead or ask the concergie for any information. Breakfast and lunch places are only open until 2:00. (Ne Ne's Kitchen and Hoots)

6. Re: Just got back from 9 days at Marco!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, August 14, 2009