We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelers' Choice® 2013 Winner -- ARE YOU KIDDING?!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
332 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Travelers' Choice® 2013 Winner -- ARE YOU KIDDING?!

This island is nothing more than high density suburbia,

houses & high rise condos tightly packed -- with beaches

accessible only by high-priced parking lots. Even urban

centers put land aside for parks & open spaces. There is

NO nature on Marco Island, well, bugs & spiders...

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,353 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelers' Choice® 2013 Winner -- ARE YOU KIDDING?!

Oh boy . . . Where do I start? You probably chose the wrong arena in which to be stating your disappointment. Did you realize that this is the Marco Island forum, filled with people that LOVE Marco Island and couldn't disagree more with your assertions??? I would say Marco is the opposite of "high density suburbia" and your claim that Marco has "NO nature" could not be farther from the truth. Marco has hotels and houses, true, but far less than most vacation destinations such as Destin, Ft. Lauderdale, or Daytona. The animals that inhabit Marco are fiercely protected. Case in point, burrowing owls and sea turtles. If I buy land in Marco and a family of burrowing owls makes its home there, I am not even legally able to build until the owls move off the property. Also, are you aware that Marco has an eagle sanctuary? You may not like Marco for personal reasons, and I respect that, but don't make statements on the Marco Island forum that are blatantly false!

lob
New York
Level Contributor
917 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelers' Choice® 2013 Winner -- ARE YOU KIDDING?!

$8 is high- priced? Parking for many of the NJ shore beaches is upwards of $10 and you have to pay to get on the beach too... Where are you going to the beach in NY that costs less than $8 and is as beautiful as Marco Island? Ill check it out when I get home...

Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelers' Choice® 2013 Winner -- ARE YOU KIDDING?!

Oh dear. Where to start.

There are actually quite a few public beach access points on the island, especially given the size of the island. There are usually spots on the street for parking. We have never had trouble finding street parking (free). Also agree with lob's point.

If all you look at is Marco from the street, and focus on the high rises, you are missing one of the best beaches -- both long and wide and able to handle all crowds. I am not sure how anyone could ever spend any time on the Marco Island beach and not feel like they have just spent time in paradise. The high rises are enough distance from the beach that if you turn your back to them it is very easy to forget they are there. Seriously. They do not in any way impinge on my enjoyment of the beach. Marco is still small town and safe with relatively little traffic. Have you experienced a sunset from the Marco Island beach?

Marco Island has some great shelling. If you walk North from Tigertail beach, there is also a wonderful and protected bird habitat that is unspoiled (yes, there actually is wildlife on the island if you take the time to check out the island). Most folks do not venture that far but if you do, it is so, so nice. Marco is also surrounded by the 10,000 islands. The 10,000 islands represent a fairly large unspoiled area. It is common to see dolphins and manatees from the beach along with sea gulls, etc. I have also often seen roseate spoonbills, osprey, turtles, burrowing owls, etc. Do not say there is not wildlife on the island unless and until you have spent time there to know what you are talking about.

I will be the first to agree that Marco is not for all -- No place can be nor should it be. Just spend some quality time there before you start bashing, please.

London, United...
Level Contributor
963 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelers' Choice® 2013 Winner -- ARE YOU KIDDING?!

WisKim, You describe the wonderful attributes of Marco so well. I agree with you totally.

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
for Marco Island, Everglades National Park, Goodland
Level Contributor
4,038 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelers' Choice® 2013 Winner -- ARE YOU KIDDING?!

Are you kidding me???

I would also NEVER travel to a place that .... is nothing more than high density suburbia, that has houses & high rise condos tightly packed, and with beaches accessible only by high-priced parking lots, that doesn't set aside land for parks & open spaces, and a place that has NO nature but bugs & spiders.

So I travel to Marco Island every chance I get.

Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelers' Choice® 2013 Winner -- ARE YOU KIDDING?!

Yes, spend quality time there, don't get off the wrong exit by accident and just try to get back on. :)

Level Contributor
130 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelers' Choice® 2013 Winner -- ARE YOU KIDDING?!

I also agree with previous statements saying how beaitiful marco island is. I last ventured there 15 years ago and as a teenager even I appreciated how brilliant the place was.

Louisville, KY
Level Contributor
202 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelers' Choice® 2013 Winner -- ARE YOU KIDDING?!

It's amazing how people see the same thing completely differently. We love Marco because we see it exactly opposite from this. The beaches are so unspoiled, the residents focus on preserving the natural beauty of the island. We love that it has a residential feel - we feel like we're part of the community when we visit. There are very few big chain hotels - nothing like most of Florida's big beaches. It's one of my favorite places to travel, and I wasn't surprised at all that it was a Travelers' Choice Winner - just bummed because I don't want our best-kept secret getting out there. :)

Poughkeepsie, New...
Level Contributor
124 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelers' Choice® 2013 Winner -- ARE YOU KIDDING?!

The original poster says Marco is an is " nothing more than high density suburbia,

houses & high rise condos tightly packed with beaches

accessible only by high-priced parking lots." This from someone from NYC ????? Marco parking is $8 a day, what does he pay to park in NYC. I suppose he thinks Jones Beach or Fire Island is the mecca of beaches.

As a New Yorker I have to laugh at the idea that anyone from NYC could polk fun at a place as beautiful as Marco.

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelers' Choice® 2013 Winner -- ARE YOU KIDDING?!

As travellers from the UK having spent vacations on Marco Island most of 25 years I have to agree with all the reply comments here. Having travelled all over the World Marco for us is still the most magical vacation destination. Our family have grown up on vacations here, and our son decided to get married here 3 years ago and he and his family still come each year with us. Now retired we spend a minimum of one month each fall and are counting the days until this year's vacation. So I agree don't knock it until you have spent some time here and have gotten to know Marco properly. When we drive over the Jolly Bridge after landing at Miami it's like coming home!