We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do, and places to eat.....

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
179 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do, and places to eat.....

Hello,

We are not arriving till late Dec. but are having a get together next week to talk. We are 3 couples, mid fifties. Would like to do a boat sightseeing tour with a guide....any suggestions? Also, we are pretty laid back, like good food....not fancy, just good. Favourite restaurants, places to have a cocktail and appetizers and watch boats.

Thanks so much.

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,314 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do, and places to eat.....

We don't do guided boat tours, but I can give some good restaurant suggestions. We don't like fancy, but we LOVE casual restaurants with great food at a reasonable cost. For those, my favorites are: Marker 8 1/2 in Goodland, Island Gypsy in Isle of Capri, Lee be Fish and Crazy Flamingo in Marco. Lee Be Fish is really a takeout joint and Marker 8 1/2 and Island Gypsy both have great views and would be my favorites. Hope this helps!

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
179 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do, and places to eat.....

Marcomomma,

Thank you so much!

yorkshire
Level Contributor
4,052 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do, and places to eat.....

Hi blondy.....

We're also spending sometime in marco island (sandwiched in between Orlando) but at the beginning of December, so thanks for posting the question. Marcomama.... Will give your suggestions a try for sure.

Can I ask, about the weather around that time and any ideas for days out/things to do/see and any trips? Laid back bars with music ?

Big whopping thank you ...

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,314 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do, and places to eat.....

The weather in December should be very pleasant. It is past hurricane season and the temperatures should be very comfortable, with most days getting into the upper 70's/lower 80's.

There are so many wonderful things to do in and around Marco. Depending on the length of your stay, you can rent a boat and get out to explore the 10,000 islands around Marco, take a trip to the pier in Naples, go into the Everglades (to Everglades City, Shark Valley, Clyde Butcher's photography gallery, or a free guided tour with Big Cypress), even take a long day trip to the Keys. It all depends on your family's likes and dislikes and the amount of time you are willing to spend on the road. Give me an idea of how much time you have available, what your family likes to do and how much time you are willing to spend in the car and I will give you more specific suggestions.:)

yorkshire
Level Contributor
4,052 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do, and places to eat.....

Thanks for a quick answer..

We are in marco for four nights but can stay longer if needed, depends on the weather and things to do etc. we have our first 9 nights booked - Orlando x 5 and marco x 4.. So the last 6 nights still to plan, but open to ideas. Don't mind traveling around but not quite as far a key west. Done this on previous trips. Maybe Fort Lauderdale? Possible... But like I said, any ideas really welcome.

Previously stayed at the boat house in marco but only overnight and promised we would return. I guess marcos the part we are looking forward to the most.

Ps just me & hubby

Edited: 1:14 pm, June 29, 2013
lob
New York
Level Contributor
908 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do, and places to eat.....

Casual dining with water views: CJ's, Mango's, Snook Inn, Dolphin Tiki, Sunset Grille. Quality of food varies as does the price but decent enough and nice atmosphere.

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,314 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do, and places to eat.....

If it were me, I would plan an overnight trip to Islamorada. Islamorada is still almost 2 hours from Key West and is a 3 hour, enjoyable drive from Marco. On the way to the keys, I would stop at Clyde Butcher's gallery, Shark Valley (to bike the 16-mile loop or take the tram tour), and Robbert is Here for a delicious shake. You could snorkel while in the keys if that interests you.

If you don't want to spend that much time, then just go into the Everglades for a day trip (take a free ranger-led hiking or kayaking tour with Big Cypress) and spend one more day at the Naples beach, near the pier.

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,314 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do, and places to eat.....

Oh, I forgot the most important way to spend at least one of your Marco days . . . BOATING!!!! You can't beat the beauty of the 10,000 islands, and there is no better way to see them than on the water. Also, a picnic on a deserted island can be very romantic with the hubby! You can look for dolphins, manatees, roseate spoonbills, turtles, and more on your day out. If you only had one day in Marco and had to choose only one activity, that would definitely be my recommendation!!

yorkshire
Level Contributor
4,052 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do, and places to eat.....

Thank you guys...

Love your ideas and have written them down on my "must do list". The boating is a lovely suggestion, but even as keen novices would this be relatively easy and should we book before we travel or wait and have a scout around. Any boat guys recommended? And would we get a couple of minutes (ha!!) of tuition? Previously had a lovely sea food dinner at the snook inn so that's planned for a return.

Def gonna do the Everglades - cant believe we've never done this before.... Any bugs/ itch ums about in December? Or do they mainly lurk in the summer months....

Do you know of any Catamaran trips?

Love snorkelling so that's a possibility. It's highly likely we will stay longer in marco or thereabouts. We really love the area.

Thanks again....

London, United...
Level Contributor
959 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to do, and places to eat.....

Shelling trip bookable at the Marriott on a catamaran. Also Calusa Spirit, goes to Cape Romano, and spots dolphins and manatees. The domed houses on Cape Romano are almost totally submerged now. saw them last year, and you could walk right up to them and see the derelict interiors and staircase.