We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit to Marco!!!

Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
First visit to Marco!!!

Well we chose Marco Island for our first vacation as a new family. We will be arriving Dec 8th and staying for two weeks. We rented a house and are looking forward to swimming in the pool, enjoying the hot tub, relaxing, and just hanging out with our little guy who will be 11 months. As well we are looking forward to enjoying the nearby beach, visiting Goodland, visiting the Zoo, renting a pontoon boat, and enjoying the many restaurants Marco Island has to offer. A few questions. Coming from Canada we like our Caeser's. Do they sell clamato juice anywhere on the island? Best place to purchase wine and beer for the house? Also, best place to purchase groceries including things like meat for the barbecue, vegetables and fresh seafood? If I have overlooked anything that should not be missed on Marco Island feel free to let me know. Don't want to miss anything. Hope the weather cooperates with us. Hoping this will be the first trip of many. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,362 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First visit to Marco!!!

Marco is FABULOUS . . . I think you will LOVE it! There is a Winn Dixie and two Publix supermarkets on the island for groceries; as well as Paradise Seafood company for fresh seafood. I would recommend doing your bulk shopping at Walmart on the way in, to save money. The Winn Dixie has a liquor store for buying beer and wine.

I do strongly suggest renting a pontoon for a day and getting out onto the water - that is what Marco is all about. Rent bikes and bike the island (if the house doesn't provide them), as it is gorgeous and a great place to be active! Isles of Capri is nice to visit, as well as the pier in Naples, and Caxambas. Just soak up the sun and enjoy your stay in paradise!:)

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,362 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit to Marco!!!

BTW, a trip into the Everglades is well worth it, too!

Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First visit to Marco!!!

Thanks marcomamma, I will make sure to add Isles of Capri, Pier in Naples and Caxambas to our list of things to do. We are very much looking forward to this trip. I am using my 2 weeks parental leave from teaching to get away before the holidays. If you think of anything else let me know.

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,362 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First visit to Marco!!!

Also, look for the small owls (hoot owls?) around the island - they are so cute and very much protected on the island. Sunsets are great, too! Oh, and for Caxambas, it is just a great place to ride a bike to (especially if you're staying on the south end) to see dolphins and a lovely view of the bay leading out into the ocean. Finally, no trip would be complete without spotting a manatee. Watch the canals very closely and you will spot them!

London, United...
Level Contributor
965 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First visit to Marco!!!

I agree Winn Dixie is a good place to stock up with food and drink. Ask for a card, and you will save $ s on your purchases. They just take your address and issue the card in a few minutes. Once you have it, you can use it year after year. (if you return)

Edited: 7:24 pm, November 12, 2012
Sussex
Destination Expert
for Mana Pools National Park, Marco Island
Level Contributor
939 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First visit to Marco!!!

The owls commonly seen on Marco are Burrowing Owls.

Should you be interested in birds, there are a few photos (including a couple of Burrowing Owls) associated with my review 'Bird Photography on Marco' , linked here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g34420-d1015…

Edited: 7:48 am, November 13, 2012
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First visit to Marco!!!

As a fellow Canadian I found it very hard to find Clamato juice on Marco back in the late 80's, 90's and early 2000's. However, a few years ago I did find some at the Publix at the corner of Barfield and San Marco. I'm not sure if they still stock it anymore or not.

The Little Bar in Goodland also had some Clamato juice on hand but again, not sure how often they re-stock it. Remember, if you go to a bar and ask for a Caeser 99% of the bartenders/wait staff will not know what that is.

Paradise Shrimp has good fresh seafood. Beer you can buy at Walgreen's for the cheapest prices. Winn Dixie and Publix also sell beer and wine. Sometimes they have deals too but I find Walgreen's has the most deals.

Have a nice time.

Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First visit to Marco!!!

Thanks marcomamma,Clare1066,krustytripper and ,whyone for your wealth of knowledge about the island. I can't believe this is less than 30 days away. I have added your suggestions to our itinerary. If anyone has any other ideas or travel tips for Marco and surrounding areas let me know I will be checking this often. Thanks again.

New York
Level Contributor
11 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First visit to Marco!!!

Just got back from our first trip. Enjoyed Rose Marina for family fishing trips with sunshine tours. Dinner cruise was great. Did a sailing trip on cool bean on capri. Snook inn was a great meal on the water and saw lots of dolphins. Lots to do and the everglades are very near.

Marco island
Level Contributor
107 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First visit to Marco!!!

For the freshest fish on the island try Lee-be fish. It's located at the shops of Olde Marco. Local fish, caught, cleaned and cooked by the guys that catch it. Doesn't get any better or fresher. Check out their reviews.

Enjoy your stay.

Edited: 10:19 pm, November 13, 2012