We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which area to stay - fort myers, naples or marco island

Which Marco Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
which area to stay - fort myers, naples or marco island

Hello!

Me and my boyfriend (both over 21) are flying over in July with my parents. We are unsure of where to stay though!

After sorting through tonss of villas, we realise that you get much more for your money on marco island villa-wise but have heard that marco island is v. quiet.

We like things going on but not too busy. We don't mind driving out to places at all - but is marco island a good place for that?

So we've been trying to decide between fort myers, naples and marco island. Any help will be welcome! We just want an area with some good food, a great local beach with things going on and basically just a good spot which is a good base to go on day trip adventures.

Thanks,

Helly

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,140 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which area to stay - fort myers, naples or marco island

Normally, I HIGHLY recommend Marco. However, based on your assessment that Marco might be too quiet, it sounds as if you might like Naples better. Marco is gorgeous and it does have some shops and restaurants, but it is very quiet and peaceful . . . some think it is TOO quiet and peaceful! You may be one of those. My hunch tells me Naples. Naples has beautiful beaches as well, and more shops, restaurants and even a mall! I would not go to Ft. Myers, unless you want a party scene! I know there is more to it than that, but I think that is the overall vibe of FMB.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which area to stay - fort myers, naples or marco island

Thank you for your advice!

If we were to go for marco island instead of Naples, is it quite easy to get about to other places eg. Naples and Everglades for day trips?

London, United...
Level Contributor
903 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which area to stay - fort myers, naples or marco island

We stay on Marco, because we love the quiet and laid back atmosphere, but visit Naples a few times during a two week stay. It only takes about 30 minutes. The Everglades is a little longer, but an easy drive. You might take a look at

www.marcoreview.com

to find out more about the island

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,140 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which area to stay - fort myers, naples or marco island

I think it's actually fun to drive to Naples and the Everglades! Not a bad trip, if you don't mind a little driving. Naples is about 30 minutes away as posted above and you can be in the Everglades in about the same amount of time. To get to someplace like Shark Valley in the 'Glades, it will take ABOUT an hour and a half. Well worth the drive, though!

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
Level Contributor
5,537 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which area to stay - fort myers, naples or marco island

I would select Fort Myers Beach. If you stay onn the nothern end near Times Sq. you will fine many reataurant and many happy hr. establishments. The Beach Whale is great. If you want it to be quiet stay at the southern end. You can alwys deive to Times Sq. and drive to Naples. We like FBM because we can hop over to Naple and Sanibel for a day. There is a trolly tat runs along Estero Blvd.Check out the left side of the site of FMB and click on to restauransts and many will review the best Happy Hour restaurants & bars.

Captiva
Level Contributor
77 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which area to stay - fort myers, naples or marco island

If you mention Ft Myers, I think overlooking Sanibel or Captiva Island is an big error. Beaches and dining are wonderful. Condos are the most prolific on Sanibel, and private houses are many on Captiva.

Check vacation rental links on both the Sanibel and the Captiva forum pages as they have unique content.

You can take boat excursion trips to other islands, or drive easily south to Naples, Marco and the Everglades, or you can drive north to Sarasota and Tampa for a Busch Gardens day trip.

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,140 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which area to stay - fort myers, naples or marco island

It may be overwhelming to consider all of these conflicting opinions, but the good news is . . . the Southern Gulf coast is absolutely BEAUTIFUL and anywhere you go is sure to please! Our least favorite place is Ft. Myers, but as you've seen, you will find people that love it (different strokes for different folks). So, I really think you should just pick a spot, go with it, have fun, and while you're there, travel to other places to see the differences!

Boston...
Level Contributor
136 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: which area to stay - fort myers, naples or marco island

I agree with marcomomma- many great choices in SW FL! Captiva and Sanibel are beautiful but in my experience they make Marco look busy! We like to stay in Marco and then day trip to Sanibel/Captiva. Ft. Myers is not our idea of the perfect relaxing beach vacation, but Naples is my definition of gorgeous. We drive over to Naples at least once each visit for dinner on 5th avenue, walk the shops and the pier area.

Edited: 7:36 pm, February 15, 2012
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: which area to stay - fort myers, naples or marco island

It sounds to me like the two of you are young and ready for lots of fun and nightlife. If this is the case then go to Fort Myers. Marco Island is lovely (I have family there and have visited yearly over the past 20 years) and I love the place dearly but I also do tons of fishing and golfing. The nightlife is a huge bore for anyone under 50. Naples isn't much better, but it is slightly better.

For a young couple like yourselves looking for plenty of action I'd say Ft. Myers is the place for you. It has a nice beach too. Go to Marco when you're a bit older and totally satisfied with the chilling and relaxing aspect of life.

Edited: 10:40 pm, February 16, 2012
10. Re: which area to stay - fort myers, naples or marco island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:31 am, June 05, 2013