We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jolley Bridge?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Jolley Bridge?

Looking for a bit of reassurance here. In December I will be joining my family on Marco Island ... the first ever visit to the island for me. We are arriving at different times / days, thus I must face the prospect of driving myself from the airport to our rental home.

My problem is that I have a lifelong "high bridge" phobia. Long bridge is okay and over water is okay, the semi-panic attack like feelings kick in if I have to do a HIGH, long bridge...anywhere! The one photo I have seen of Jolley didn't give a clear indication of what I can expect. Would greatly appreciate feedback from those familiar with the bridge. Thanks, in advance....!

Western NY
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jolley Bridge?

You will be just fine. Jolley Bridge is NOTHING like the bridges to Tampa or even Chesapeake Bay. Nothing like the Oakland Bay Bridge or Golden Gate. It has a peak but not intimidating at all. Not too high and not too long. Its over before you can appreciate the fantastic view as you drive across. Its my favorite part!!

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
413 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jolley Bridge?

From beginning to end, it will be less then 1 minute to cross the bridge.

Here is a link to a web page that has a picture of it:

marcoislandflorida.com/articles/2008/09/04/n…

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jolley Bridge?

Thank you for the encouraging replies. I am beginning to think that, if I can just control my feelings while I get UP to the peak I will be able to focus on the end of it and be okay.

This phobia is a really limiting thing. The only way I got across the Tampa Bay bridge was to have my son drive while I sat in the back with my eyes closed.

When visiting friends in Marin County, CA, I actually flew from San Francisco up to Santa Rosa and then drove BACK to Marin so I would not have to cross the Golden Gate! A year later, though, I actually found the nerve somehow to drive across it all by myself (using an inside lane!). I am hoping the Jolley will not be terribly narrow...leaving some decent space between the car and the railing.

Thanks, again....

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
413 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jolley Bridge?

Grandma

Call me when you get to town and I will personally drive you over the bridge, you can sit in the back seat and close your eyes-no problem,but you will have to drop me off at work : ) I will PM you my number

What a shame to have missed the Marin Headlands going over the Golden Gate Bridge. I too am an inside lane driver when it comes to bridges. I have family in Tarpon Springs and had avoided the Sunshine Skyway up until about 3 years ago. I finally drove over it, now I use it all the time, and even sometimes take my eyes off of the road to look out over the bay!

Western NY
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jolley Bridge?

The Jolley is NOTHING like you may be imagining. You will have plenty of lane space. Its a short bridge. The bridge approaching Sanibel was WAY worse and I'm not necessarily too bad with bridges (but don't love them either).

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jolley Bridge?

Is this the same Grandmamac who is a Sanibel lover?

If so Hi.. nice o hear/see you on the forum... hope you love Marco

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jolley Bridge?

Thanks, Unsure. After 15 years on Sanibel, I am actually enthused about having an opportunity to see what Marco has to offer. Now...I just have to GET there! :)

Perhaps, if I can ever bring myself to fully retire, I can one day enjoy the best that each of the two island worlds has to offer??

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
for Marco Island, Everglades National Park, Goodland
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jolley Bridge?

I'm sure you know but there are 2 bridges to get on the island. Jolley Bridge is one and the second is the Goodland Bridge access.

Of the two bridges the Goodland Bridge access to me is less scary. However it takes time to get to the South side of Marco off R41. If you are coming in from Miami the Goodland Bridge is right on your way into Marco.

Western NY
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jolley Bridge?

I thought of that, too, MarcoRed. But thought the same of the distance.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jolley Bridge?

Thanks, again, MarcoRed and JackiePaddy. I will do some googling and mapquesting and familiarize myself with the Goodland option...just in case I need a Plan B!

Get answers to your questions about Marco Island