We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marco Island Hurricanes

Which Marco Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
michigan
Level Contributor
90 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Marco Island Hurricanes

Does anyone have a good website to stay updated on when hurricanes will be in the Marco Beach area? I am getting married there on 11-6-05. Also how far in advance can a hurricane be predicted?

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Marco Island Hurricanes

Try the National Hurricane Center web site:

www.nhc.noaa.gov

Although still in the Atlantic Hurricane Season, your dates will probably be ok based solely on past weather history.

Then again, this year's tropical activity has been a big excetion and now 20 named storms are predicted instead of the previously forecast 15.

It doesn't matter really if it's a hurricane or not - a good stalling tropical storm can put a damper on your festivities just as well as a hurricane can.

Your main concern should be whether or not a tropical system will strengthen to hurricane strength - this cannot be predicted that far in advance - 1-2 days at the absolute best.

michigan
Level Contributor
90 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Marco Island Hurricanes

Thanks for the info!

Naples, Fl
Level Contributor
641 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marco Island Hurricanes

Much of Marco was Indian burial grounds, there is a legend that Marco cannot be hit, To this day there is no recorded history of Marco every being hit by a hurricane.

Summerland Key...
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Marco Island Hurricanes

Funny, I'd think the ghosts of the Calusa would curse the place because of all the condos. :)

michigan
Level Contributor
90 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Marco Island Hurricanes

Todday-That rocks! Thanks for the info about the burial grounds. Makes me more comfortable to have a beach wedding!

Lakeland, Fl
Level Contributor
178 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Marco Island Hurricanes

Endeavour...isn't there a similar legend about Cape Canaveral?

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marco Island Hurricanes

Marco is our favorite beach. Last August (2004) we were on Marco when Charlie hit. Marco was dead center of the predicted landfall. We ran in the middle of the night. In fact ours was the last plane to get off the ground in Ft. Myer before they closed the airport. We were really afraid that by the time we got home there wouldn't be an island left to go back to. Charlie got almost to the beach at Marco then suddenly turned left and headed north. Marco got away with a few screens blown out of windows. I wouldn't worry about a wedding in November. Marco's an incredible place to have a wedding. Good Luck!

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marco Island Hurricanes

Marco is our favorite beach. Last August (2004) we were on Marco when Charlie hit. Marco was dead center of the predicted landfall. We ran in the middle of the night. In fact ours was the last plane to get off the ground in Ft. Myer before they closed the airport. We were really afraid that by the time we got home there wouldn't be an island left to go back to. Charlie got almost to the beach at Marco then suddenly turned left and headed north. Marco got away with a few screens blown out of windows. I wouldn't worry about a wedding in November. Marco's an incredible place to have a wedding. Good Luck!