We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Place to Fly Into?

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Best Place to Fly Into?

Four of us will be going to Marco Island from Indianapolis mid-June. Where is the best place to fly into and rent a car? It seems that Ft.Lauderdale has the most options, but is there somewhere closer with the same prices?

Also, the ages are 30,31,28, and 20. Where could we all go that would be as fun as a bar, but wouldn't leave the 20 yr old home alone?

Thanks!

Western NY
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Place to Fly Into?

The 20 year old can go pretty much everywhere with you. Most "bars" are really restaurants/sports-type bars where all are welcome. Some bars get going for the 21+ crowd later. Not too many "bars" on Marco. You'll want to go The Snook Inn (standard outdoor tiki bar with fun Jimmy Buffett pretenders and great frozen drinks). Go to Goodland (little island just off MI) for a couple of fun places (Stan's, Crab House, Little Bar). Go to Jack's Lookout for cold ones and a good raw bar. Definitely don't miss the happy hour at the outdoor bar at The Esplanade. Wonderful sunsets and very fun. Guy Harvey's Island Grill is fun and we enjoyed the food.

Best places to fly into are Ft. Myers (closest big airport) and Ft. Lauderdale (rental cars at both are accessible right in the parking garage). 45 minutes and 90-120 minutes respectively. Also could fly into Miami but a bit further and crazy traffic and signage. South of Ft. Lauderdale. Tampa is a bit further still (2-2.5 hours).

Margate City, New...
Level Contributor
72 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Place to Fly Into?

We always fly into Regional Southwest or Fort Myers

airport, it isn't anymore expensive, at least where

we come from in So. Jersey. Love the airport,about

a half hour or so away and car rentals are not expensive.

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Place to Fly Into?

Thanks so much. I'll check out the prices for those areas to fly into. I make the simplest decisions so hard.

And I'm printing out all of those places mentioned to go to. I know most of us just want to relax, but I'm sure that after a full-day on the beach, we'll all want to head somewhere for a drink! :)

4. Re: Best Place to Fly Into?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, September 24, 2009