We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Tampa Airport

chicago
Level Contributor
127 posts
2 reviews
Driving from Tampa Airport

Can anyone tell me what the best route is to get to Longboat from the Tampa International airport? We are staying at 3008 Gulf of Mexico Drive. Anyone know how long it might take us to arrive? Thanks for any help!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
9,574 posts
1. Re: Driving from Tampa Airport

What day and time of day will this be?

A scenic route will be I-275 towards St. Petersburg and over the Sunshine Skyway bridge. When you get off the bridge take hwy 19. It goes south and merges with hwy 41. Stay on 41 for a short while till you see 301 South. Take that to hwy 64 West towards the beaches. 64 will dead end on Anna Maria Island at Gulf Drive. Take Gulf Drive south until you get to Longboat Key.

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
11,301 posts
179 reviews
2. Re: Driving from Tampa Airport

Do you want scenic or the fastest route?

Longboat Key...
Destination Expert
for Longboat Key
Level Contributor
626 posts
155 reviews
3. Re: Driving from Tampa Airport

AhHah's suggestion is scenic but will take you at least 30 minutes longer than if you go over the Skyway bridge and take either Hwy 75 South or Hwy 301 South. I'd estimate 1½ to two hours this way or two to 2½ hours the scenic way. Depends on traffic.

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
109 reviews
4. Re: Driving from Tampa Airport

I agree with Sheldon. I've made that same trip many times (also to the 3000 block on Longboat). It usually always took us about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, depending on time of day and day of week. It's a distance of about 78-80 miles.

Coming from the Airport, to 275 over the Skyway Bridge (toll) then to I-75 south. Get off at Exit 210, Fruitville Road (state route 780). Go Right (heading West) on Fruitville until it deadends at US 41. At US 41 turn left for one block, then turn right onto state route 789 which will take you over a bridge and out to St. Armand's Circle. About 1/4 way around the Circle, 789 turns right. Follow 789 out onto Longboat Key (on Longboat it's also known as Gulf of Mexico Drive.

Edited: 5:16 pm, August 07, 2015
chicago
Level Contributor
127 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Driving from Tampa Airport

I would prefer fastest route actually. We have a week at a timeshare so plenty of time to sightsee later!

chicago
Level Contributor
127 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Driving from Tampa Airport

thanks....this looks like the fastest route for us! We are coming in on a Saturday afternoon so probably around 2pm! :)

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
109 reviews
7. Re: Driving from Tampa Airport

You shouldn't have any trouble with traffic that time of day. Once you get on Longboat, just before you get to your timeshare you'll pass a nice shopping center with a large Publix (grocery store), CVS, liquor store, etc. so you can easily get whatever you need after you've checked out your place.

chicago
Level Contributor
127 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Driving from Tampa Airport

Fantastic....Liquor store being the Key words!!! Thanks! :)

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
109 reviews
9. Re: Driving from Tampa Airport

There used to be an independent liquor store in the shopping center but I think that the presence of Publix drove them away. The current liquor store in the shopping center is owned by Publix but physically separate (by a few feet) from the grocery store,... thanks to an obscure Florida law. I'm not sure how their prices compare to liquor stores on the mainland, or to Chicago. There's still an independent liquor store at the north end of Longboat as well.

If wine is your interest, the Publix grocery store in the shopping center has an excellent selection. Apparently it sells more wine than any other Publix in the Sarasota/Bradenton area, and their prices generally are very good.

chicago
Level Contributor
127 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Driving from Tampa Airport

Fantastic! Thanks! Can't wait to come to your beautiful island!

Get answers to your questions about Longboat Key