We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Longboat parking public beach access

Which Longboat Key hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Carolina
Level Contributor
383 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Longboat parking public beach access

Thinking of checking out Longboat for the day. Where are the public beach parking and good beaches to go to. Coming from the south so do not want to go all the way to Anna Maria or Bradenton.

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,177 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Longboat parking public beach access

The beach -- sand and water -- is equally wonderful the entire length of Longboat. Towards the south end you'll find taller buildings, by mid-Key and towards the north the buildings are mostly 1 or 2 floors high, or cottage colonies. You won't find any lifeguard stations or restrooms or food places on the beach itself; it's simply not that crowded. But there are places nearby for changing, getting food -- to eat in a restaurant or to take as a picnic -- bathrooms, etc.

There are eleven public access points to the beach, each with a small parking area. Coming from the south, the first is at 2825 Gulf of Mexico Drive; you can park in the Town Hall parking lot or at Publix (with food/bathroom at Publix). My personal favorite beach place is at 3495 Gulf of Mexico Drive; never crowded -- you might be the only one on the beach for a half-mile. There are several other nice access points in the 4700 block of Gulf of Mexico Drive, and then others up towards the north end of Longboat. Look for a small blue sign saying "Beach Access" at the side of the road. If you go to the access points at 4700, drive a little further north to change in the restrooms at Joan Durante Park, and maybe pickup some food at Harry's corner store.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
383 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Longboat parking public beach access

cbchrc I have asked a lot of questions during my 6 years on TA and have appreciated the helpful replies of many but your reply is a candidate for the most informative, complete, and answer to the exact question I have seen. Thanks

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
168 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Longboat parking public beach access

Here's a list of the public access addresses from the town's web site.

longboatkey.org/Departments/Rec/PublicBeachA…

The address numbers on Gulf of Mexico Drive get larger as one heads north.

While looking for blue signs along the road you may also see markers from the historical society

http://www.longboatkeyhistory.com/markers.htm

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,177 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Longboat parking public beach access

Beachman, I appreciate the compliment; thanks. And I hope you enjoy Longboat as much as I do.

5. Re: Longboat parking public beach access

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, October 03, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Longboat Key