We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water Conditions

Which Longboat Key hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas Texas
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Water Conditions

I have been watching beach reports as we arrive on Saturday

I see the storms have blown in moderate clarity and some algae

How long after the storms does it normally take for the water to clear?

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,178 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water Conditions

There's no good answer to your question, but usually it will be a couple of days -- depending on the tides and wind direction. We had some heavy rains today which stirred things up a bit, but by the weekend it could be gorgeous.

Dallas Texas
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Water Conditions

man I sure hope so, been waiting a long time for this trip

We are used to the water in Destin and found Long Boat a couple year ago and loved it.

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,178 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Water Conditions

I hope so too! Today's a gorgeous day and the winds have died down so things may get lucky for you. The Mote Aquarium puts out a daily water/beach quality report for a number of places including two beaches on Anna Maria, one on Lido, one on Siesta and two in Venice (sorry, none on Longboat). The last report I saw was yesterday afternoon at a stormy time. Seas were described as heavy surf and water as "dark", though that doesn't necessarily translate to seaweed. There was "some" red drift algae on Lido Key but none seen on the other beaches. Also, of course, no oil or red tide.

4. Re: Water Conditions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:08 am, February 09, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Longboat Key