We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this Longboat Key cottage OK for a couple with a toddler?

Which Longboat Key hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis
3 posts
Save Topic
Is this Longboat Key cottage OK for a couple with a toddler?

Hello,

I am looking at this place on vacationrentals.com. We've never been to Florida. We are a quiet couple with a toddler. Does anyone recognize this place and/or part of the island? Does it look OK?

vacationrentals.com/vacation-rentals/7420.ht…

Thanks so much for your help,

Amy

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,177 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this Longboat Key cottage OK for a couple with a toddler?

Hi Amy -- Without the specific address I can't be 100% certain but based on the pictures and the map I can give you a very close guess. It looks to be in the 2700 block of Gulf of Mexico Drive. In that area there are 3 or 4 older small cottages located along a half-mile section of the beach, each squeezed between several tall condos. The cottages were probably all built in the 1950's or 1960's (and the condos much more recently), so I suspect that you'll find quite dated furnishings inside. Within a block, on the other side of Gulf of Mexico Drive, is a small shopping center. It has an excellent grocery store, a drug store, a few shops, a few restaurants; close by is a little library, post office and tennis courts. Don't let the proximity of a shopping center scare you; Longboat is a VERY quiet Key.

The beach in that area is a good one, as it is all along Longboat. It's a wonderful place for little ones to play since the beach slopes very gently into the water. We are not known for big surf, as you might find on the East coast of Florida; most of the time there will be gentle ripples or very small waves. There are no lifeguards on the beaches on Longboat; the beaches are simply not that crowded to warrant them.

Things to do with a toddler? Longboat has a wonderful park, Joan Durante, which has a terrific playground area (plus lots of birds). There is also a 12-mile long bike trail on Longboat, and a place to rent a bike that can hold you and a toddler. Just off the southern end of Longboat is Mote Aquarium which is a fun place for kids and adults; it includes a tank with rays that you can pat as they swim by. There is also an Explorer boat that goes from the Mote into the Bay, by a bird sanctuary and stopping also to net (and then release) some small fish to show the kids on board. A bit beyond is St. Armands Circle with shops and restaurants, including the all-important fudge and ice cream places. And then downtown is the G-Wiz hands-on science museum, further afield is Jungle Gardens (tame birds and bird shows), a Circus Museum, and Myakka State Park where you can boat among the alligators.

Would I take a chance and rent that cottage? I personally prefer places a bit more luxurious, but the price is definitely right, so go for it! If it does have any shortcomings in furnishings, you'll more than make up for it with the location, immediate access to the beach, and easy access to many other things. If you can get an exact address, let me know and I'll drive by the place to check it out from the outside; I'm on Longboat very frequently.

Minneapolis
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this Longboat Key cottage OK for a couple with a toddler?

Your posting was incredibly helpful. Thank you very much. I will take your thoughts into consideration. Have a great day and thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!

3. Re: Is this Longboat Key cottage OK for a couple with a toddler?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, May 11, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Longboat Key