We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic Places to Drive to in Florida

2 posts
Save Topic
Scenic Places to Drive to in Florida

Hello! My family and I will be traveling to Longboat Key for the month of July and are looking for some beautiful hidden gems, scenic places, and points of interest that we can drive to. My dad has frontal temporal dementia so we decided to let him "retire" in Florida, a dream he's had since he was young. I hate to think about it, but this will probably be his last time going on a vacation, so we want to give him as many beautiful memories as possible on this trip. He gets stressed in crowds but loves going on drives so we're looking more for things that we can simply drive to and look at basically (stuff similar to the lookout point by House of Refuge at Gilberts Bar in Stuart, FL), preferably within an hour of Longboat Key.

If anybody could give us some suggestions that would be wonderful! Thanks!

Edited: 6:29 pm, June 10, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Stuart
Stuart
Florida
2 replies to this topic
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic Places to Drive to in Florida

Maybe something like beaches we could stop at or good places to watch the sunset (I can't figure out how to edit my original message haha)? Thanks!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
9,367 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic Places to Drive to in Florida

Every day go to one of the barrier islands - Anna Maria Island, Longboat Key, Lido Key, and Siesta Key - in time for the sunset.

On a Sunday, go to the Siesta Key public beach about an hour before sunset to listen to the Drum Circle. It is free.

Also there's the Myakka River State Park in the Sarasota area. Google it for details.

Mentioned in this post
Lido Key
Lido Key
Sarasota, FL
Myakka River State Park
Myakka River State Park
2,780 Reviews
Sarasota, FL
Sarasota
Sarasota
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Reply to: Scenic Places to Drive to in Florida