We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

retirement Communities In Leesburg

cambriah
Level Contributor
59 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
retirement Communities In Leesburg

Currently live in the Northeast but am considering relocating to Leesburg, Florida. Any thoughts about the area,pro/con would be appreciated. Quality of life, medical care,cultural activities, dining, crime rate, etc. Also, is the summer heat that oppresive or really not so bad?

Thanks

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: retirement Communities In Leesburg

As you can see, this forum is not very active. I can only comment on the summer heat - just about anywhere in Florida has an oppressive hot humid Summer.

Before buying a property, rent for six months until you get a "feel" for the area.

Leesburg has easy access to I-75, Orlando and Daytona Beach and it is not that far from Tampa.

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
572 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: retirement Communities In Leesburg

My parents retired to Leesburg 13 years ago and I spend a month there every winter visiting. It can be cold there in winter. Last month, Feb. there were two freezes while I was there. There is little good dining, just chains and buffets that cater to older folks. I can attest for quality medical care in the area. The Leesburg Regional Medical Center is in the top 100. My husband always gets sick when we visit and he has been to all the hospitals in Lake County and has received excellent care in each of them. Many streets in town are lined with doctors' offices and medical arts buildings, so there are plenty to choose from. I cannot really comment on cultural activies because I have never encountered any there. There is a playhouse in town so there must be a theater group. Usually in Feb. there is a fanastic arts festival in the nearby town of Mount Dora. The crime rate does not seem particularly bad right there in Leesburg but you are only 30 miles from Orlando which seems to be a crime Mecca. But that is true for most of Florida. Child abductions seem to be popular. At least one child goes missing each year when we visit and we usually learn of the outcome the following year when we return.

One activity that seems to be popular in the area is fishing. Many lakes, small and large surround the area and crappie and bass are the local fish. A national bass fishing tournament is held there in Jan.

Otherwise, I find little to do in the area.

Summers are hot and humid and there has been a drought in that area for the past several years, so everything is very dry and prone to fire outbreaks.

Your posting was from last summer, so you may have already made your decision about Leesburg.

Panama City, Florida
Level Contributor
30 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: retirement Communities In Leesburg

Anywhere further than 10 miles from the FL coast will be hot in summer. There should be a regular thunderstorm to break the humidity though. It's all in what you can get used to. Me, I'd rather be hot than cold.

You might consider a gated 55+ community like Hawthorne, where my in-laws winter. They are secure from major crime and make their own fun. The facilities are pretty impressive with a marina, huge clubhouse, library, billiard room, bocce, croquet, shuffleboard and pool. The daily schedule covers 2 pages. My in-laws go to Orlando for major entertainment like plays and concerts. Dining is not a strong point in Leesburg but I have been to a couple golf course restaurants that were decent. Otherwise it's chains. No comment on health care except to say that they continue to wait and see their doctors in Massachusetts during the summer.

I like the place enough to consider semi-retiring this year and moving there.

4. Re: retirement Communities In Leesburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:26 am, January 26, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Leesburg