We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quiet Beach town?!

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Quiet Beach town?!

Hi there

My wife and I will be arriving into Fort Lauderdale on a Red Eye this summer.

We are planning on visiting the Keys but want to stop in a nice quiet beach town for a night or two after flying over night.

Lauderdale by the sea has caught my attention. Does it seem like a good idea or should we simply make our way to Key Largo?

Thanks

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,897 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quiet Beach town?!

I would opt for Key Largo. Grab a room by the bay and breathe. Lots of great restaurants there!

FL
Level Contributor
184 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quiet Beach town?!

Lauderdale by the sea is not quiet! I would skip it and head straight for the keys. Lauderdale by the sea is just a small suburb of Fort lauderdale located off A1A, the main beach road. It's full of traffic and hotels/motels. You would not be missing anything if you did not go there.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Quiet Beach town?!

Thanks for that, is there anywhere near Fort Lauderdale that is low key and quiet. I know that my wife will be wrecked after the flight and wont enjoy the drive!

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Quiet Beach town?!

Suggest any hotel in Key Largo?

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,897 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quiet Beach town?!

Not really. Between Ft Lauderdale and the Keys is...Miami. It is kind of like one large sprawling Suburban area. The drive from Ft Lauderdale to Key Largo is not a long one. Maybe one hour...... I guess you could go North to Deerfield but that would not be much closer and in the wrong direction. Not sure what budget you have for Key Largo? There is a Marriott on the Bay which is very nice. We like Bayside (Bayview) Inn or Key Lime Sailing Club (the latter is VERY casual). There is also a nice Courtyard By Mariott. From the last 3 you can walk to a handful of good restaurants. Key Largo is a fun area to explore. John Pennekamp State Park, Glass Bottom Boats, Snorkeling, Fishing, Sailing. Great seafood restaurants with locally caught seafood.

Edited: 2:54 pm, February 11, 2013
Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Quiet Beach town?!

Thank you are there any good relaxed type bars with food on beach in key largo?

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,897 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quiet Beach town?!

Bayside Grill is good for Happy Hour and overlooks the Sunset. They have a casual restaurant down and more upscale upstairs. Sits on a small beach on the bay. Snapper's on the Oceanside is also very good. Not sure you are familiar with "beaches" in the keys. The entire group of islands is coral stone bases so beaches are very small but sit on the incredible turquoise waters and usually have a dock. We also like Sharkey's on the marina for casual bar type spot and the Buzzard's Roost as well. Further down the Keys ck out Lorelai in Islamorada as well as Lazy Daze...all great options. In Key Largo we love the original Mrs Mac's Kitchen right on the main road about MM 101 (all of they keys are measured with mile markers on the side of the rd.). Mrs Mac's is kind of like a diner with good prices and great food. Everything from fresh salads with seafood to platters..you name it! Fav there is blackened wahoo salad with a cold beer!

FL
Level Contributor
184 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quiet Beach town?!

for a hotel in key largo I would recommend Ragged Edge, it's actually in Islamorada, not too far away. We have stayed there many times and LOVE it. Check reviews on this site.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,240 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quiet Beach town?!

I disagee that L auderdale by the Sea is too busy- at least in the summer , when it is a very different place than it is in the high tourist season. However, it is in the opposite direction from your Keys trip at the north end of Ft. Lauderdale when you need to be heading south, so in your case , probably not worth the detour. But for anyone else coming down in the summer , LBTS is really a quaint little beach village and if you don't book an accomodation right on A1A it will be very quiet and peaceful in the little Mom and Pop motels along the beach. I go up often to stroll around,enjoy ythe beach and have an ice cream at Kilwins-but I wouldn't do it in January or February- most visitors to LBTS are retirees or visitors from Europe looking for bargain lodging- ther'e 's not much night ife except a free street dance on the weekends.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,897 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Quiet Beach town?!

I agree Lulu. A few years ago I spent 5 nights at LBTS because I was taking a Professional Class and wanted a place without too much hustle and bustle. A handful of shops and restaurants along the beach and quiet at night. When in Ft Lauderdale we often have breakfast at the little greek restaurant on the corner there. My Husband is fond of their Bloody Mary and they will serve me a gyro for breakfast! I think the week I spent there was in Sept so very quiet!

Get answers to your questions about Lauderdale by the Sea