We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying versus driving to Orlando from Ontario?

Kitchener Ontario...
Level Contributor
65 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Flying versus driving to Orlando from Ontario?

Have not visited Orlando since 1993 - any tips, advice, opinions on the decision to either drive from Toronto area, or fly down? Will be 7 people, including 2 ten year olds, 1 toddler, 4 adults - if we drive, will need 2 cars. If we fly, will need to rent a vehicle - which is best? Cost wise, it seems driving makes sense, but will take 3.5 extra days for our 1 week vacation

Special Offer
Florida Airboat Adventure
135 Reviews
from $25.69*
$30.05
Orlando Helicopter Tour from Walt...
51 Reviews
from $48.29*
Special Offer
Medieval Times Dinner and Tournament...
12 Reviews
from $55.49*
$71.67
Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
17,498 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying versus driving to Orlando from Ontario?

Decisions, decisions! If you drive its about 20 hours but with 4 adults you may be able to drive further if someone sleeps while someone drives. You will still probably have an overnight in a hotel (2 rooms?) You also have to consider the gas and meals along the drive. If you factor all of that in, flying with car rental may be the better option.

conn
Level Contributor
3,611 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying versus driving to Orlando from Ontario?

comes down to more fun on the road vs more time at your destination there is no wrong answer and no right answers just tradeoffs one way or the other.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
18,875 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying versus driving to Orlando from Ontario?

I too suspect flying will be cheaper and easier on the drivers. Plus, you will be saving those 3½ precious vacation days.

Kitchener Ontario...
Level Contributor
65 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying versus driving to Orlando from Ontario?

I appreciate the insight - I keep thinking driving will be cheaper, but harder on the kids and the adults. But then flying with 3 kids, especially a toddler, might be harder on the adults too. Best costs I can find for 7 people is roughly $2500 CDN round trip from Buffalo - anyone know of a cheaper way to go?

Kissimmee Florida
Destination Expert
for Kissimmee
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying versus driving to Orlando from Ontario?

Fly.

No question.

Fly in the middle of the night if that gets you the cheapest fare, Starting your vacation tired from the drive can destroy the entire rest of your vacation. Give the kids whatever they need to stay quiet and calm on the flight. You will have invested too much to cheap out on this part.

CTR

Boxborough...
Level Contributor
1,890 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying versus driving to Orlando from Ontario?

I looked at Kayak and came up with a similar $2500 cost. My ball park driving cost is about $1200 for 2 vehicles. But when I try imagine that felling of ending a vacation with that 1300 miles trip home ahead it kind of sucks the joy out.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
18,875 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying versus driving to Orlando from Ontario?

"I looked at Kayak and came up with a similar $2500 cost. My ball park driving cost is about $1200 for 2 vehicles"

But what about gasoline for two cars, hotels/motels and 3 meals a day for 7 people while on the road?

Boxborough...
Level Contributor
1,890 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying versus driving to Orlando from Ontario?

Google gave me the distance as about 1300 miles each way. I figured about 100 gal of gas r/t per car. Call it $800 for fuel. The other $400 is a SWAG at additional costs.

Timmins, Ontario
Level Contributor
90 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying versus driving to Orlando from Ontario?

I am from ontario as well, we booked our flights from buffalo,it was alot cheaper for our family of 5. Approx..$1200 including return flights and taxes. Worth looking into!

Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying versus driving to Orlando from Ontario?

For us it came down to the question "Could we handle the 24 hr drive with our 20 month old?". The answer was no (she cries a lot. The four year old would be fine). So we figured a 3 hr plane ride would be better for us. Plus we decided (this time) to only stay at disney and we are going try their shuttle & not take car seats, nor rent a car because of the crazy car seat rental price (almost cheaper to buy two from walmart when we got there).

As we'll, I felt my 20 mth old would not make it driving non stop (well, we might go crazy with the crying), plus the kids would be sleeping upright in the car seat (if they slept), and I didn't want to have to stop half way down with and stay in a hotel & unpack & repack -plus the kids not sleeping in a strange place & even more cranky the rest of the drive.

If they were both older (no issues waiting/holding until the next rest stop), we would drive nonstop and plan a day for rest when we got there.

As well, we choose to fly out of Pearson because we are a few hrs east of Toronto.

Good Luck!