We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toll Booth

Trenton, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
170 reviews
Save Topic
Toll Booth

I have been reading older posts about the toll booths in the Orlando Area and there seemed to be problems with transponders etc. I will be renting through Budget in Feb and going to Disney and Kissimmee. Are there any issues with renting the transponder with Budget as It looks like it costs 4 bucks a day + the toll. Also what are the average prices for the tolls. Is it worth it to have the transponder as I have no idea how many toll booths we have to go through - I think it is but would appreciate any feedback.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,704 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Toll Booth

That's not too bad ... and there is a max fee per rental month so in essence you only pay the fee for about 4 days of the rental. The only other companies with a slightly less fee than that are Alamo, National, and Enterprise.

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,254 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Toll Booth

Here is what the different companies do. https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar If, once you get to Disney/the attractions area, you are only going to the parks, then you are unlikely to encounter tolls at any time other than to/from the airport. So you are looking at 4 tolls (2 each way) and +/- $5 total. Would be cheaper to pay out of pocket, but as you can see from the chart with Budget you are automatically opted in. I guess you can consider that $16.75 max charge a part of doing business with them and chalk it up to convenience (can use the high speed lanes without stopping where applicable). Not sure what they do if you say you don't want it. Drop in the water compared to the cost of the vacation.

Boxborough...
Level Contributor
1,890 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toll Booth

Do you need a transponder? The tolls on 528 from the airport take cash. If you are going 528 to 4 just have some small bills.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,094 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toll Booth

To kissimmee, I'd take the southern exit, not the north, so the 417 is a toll road. But, as long as you are going thru the toll on the right hand side, they take cash/give change. And if you use a major exit, you are fine.

I would get change for a dollar once in the AP before you get your car, if you are going to take one of the unmanned exits that take change in the tolls. they are usually around 50c.

Kissimmee Florida
Destination Expert
for Kissimmee
Level Contributor
3,533 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toll Booth

Thed's, Unless you are going to Space Center or to Miami, you do not need a transponder. There are only two "No Cash" exits in Central Florida and both of those are on the Turnpike. The cost of the transponder per day is greater than the cost of tolls for your entire trip.

Having said that, traffic being the mess that it is at the toll booths, the ability to slide through on the electronic only lanes is worth the difference.

6. Re: Toll Booth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 11, 2015