We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Valmeyer, IL
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Need resources for moving to Kissimmee area

We are considering moving to the Kissimmee area within the next couple of years and I'm trying to find info on the area's neighborhoods, schools, etc. Does anyone have any experience with this or can anyone recommend any online resources for us?

Thanks!

Brandy

Valmeyer, IL
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need resources for moving to Kissimmee area

Should also add that we're not set on Kissimmee, we are looking at areas within commuting distance to Orlando.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,907 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need resources for moving to Kissimmee area

There's an area called Dr. Phillips that is approx. west of Universal Studios and supposedly it has a good school system. Never been there myself so that's all I can tell you.

Kissimmee Florida
Destination Expert
for Kissimmee
Level Contributor
3,540 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need resources for moving to Kissimmee area

Bran,

The Orlando (Orange County) Chamber of Commerce and the Kissimmee (Osceola County) Chamber of Commerce have excellent relocation packages. Call them and request the packages at your earliest convenience.

You should also look at Polk, Lake, Seminole and Brevard counties. Depending on what you are looking for in a neighborhood, you will find excellent opportunities all over central Florida.

CTR

Valmeyer, IL
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need resources for moving to Kissimmee area

CTR - Thank you VERY much!

I work in healthcare so we'll need to be within commuting distance to the major hospital systems in Florida. We would prefer a rural area with a small town feel but that's not a deal breaker. A close-knit, friendly community is ideal. I should add though that we are looking for an affordable area for an average middle-class family.

Also, our son is looking at possibly attending FSU but we haven't decided if we would want to live in the Tallahassee area since we really don't know much about that part of Florida.

We're going to check out some of these things on our vacation this summer so I'm trying to identify some areas to take a look at. We currently live in a small rural town in Illinois but are only about 30 mins from St. Louis, MO. We like the area and the small town feel but are ready to leave the midwest and move south.

If any of that info helps and you could recommend any neighborhoods, towns, etc for us to check out this summer I'd be extremely grateful!

Thanks again!

Brandy

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,209 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need resources for moving to Kissimmee area

Let good schools be your guide as the location. They aren't exactly thick on the ground in Florida in general.

Also, it would be good if your son lived there for a year and established residence before going to College to gain instate tuition.

A final note, look at city Data and other forums like that, as relocation threads aren't allowed here on TA.

zephyrhills fl
Level Contributor
110 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need resources for moving to Kissimmee area

I did a travel nurse 13 week contract there .We put our belongings in storage while we found the area we wanted to move into. Travel assignments give you free housing in an apt ,or money for housing plus all moving Exp. Are tax deductible. You get to see if it is what you want before you move. Also stay away from heavy tourist areas to live .....(hotels ex..) to much partiers at times. FLORIDA HOSPITALS are a good employer in the area.

7. Re: Need resources for moving to Kissimmee area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 16, 2014