We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DSNYS Retreat - Windsor Hills. Stay Away!

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
63 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
DSNYS Retreat - Windsor Hills. Stay Away!

We stayed in this 5 bedroom/5 Bath home in Windsor Hills and it was less than what I expected.

For starters - when I received my quote from the owner, I was told that my quote included the use of a BBQ. When we arrived at the home, there was no BBQ there. I contacted the owner about this and was told that it was old and gross and they decided to get rid of it. They had no plans to replace it. At the time of this review, it is still being advertised with pictures of it on the website for the home.

One of the large reasons we booked the home was because it listed a PS2 and an Xbox360 on the website. When we arrived at the house we did see the two consoles, but there were no games for either of them. I asked the owner about this and was told that guests had removed them from the home and they had no plans to replace them. I was also told that I could rent games from the clubhouse but when we called the clubhouse, they informed us that they do not have games to rent. So basically we had unusable game consoles unless we wanted to go somewhere and shell out money to buy games for them.

For both of these items I asked the owner for a partial refund. We thought it was only fair that we get some money back for a missing BBQ and no games for 2 game consoles. I was told by the owner that they were not going to give me a refund because of the following:

#1. We did not pay extra for the BBQ so there was no reason we should have expected it. I explained to the owner that it was specifically listed in the quote she gave me for the house and she again told me that it was a free amenity so I was not to expect it at the home. I was also told that they removed any advertising of the BBQ some time ago. At the time of this review, you can go to their website and see several pictures with the BBQ in them.

#2. The owner said they never advertised games for the PS2 and the Xbox360. That is true. However, if I rent a home with game consoles, I expect there to be games to play with them. They are of no use to anyone if they do not have games. When I asked the owner about them I was told that they were removed from prior guests and that was something she had no control over and that they did not intend on buying new ones. Maybe that is something I should not have expected, but we rented 3 other homes in Windsor Hills at the same time and all of them had games to go with the consoles.

The house itself is beautifully decorated and the kitchen is well stocked. However, it was not as clean as I would have liked it to be. The management company only works on Mon-Fri and we checked in on a Saturday. So I had to wait until Monday to have someone come out and re-clean a few of the bathrooms.

I wanted to write this review to inform people that there is no BBQ at the home and no games for the consoles in case they booked the home specifically for these items. I think it is only fair to let people know.

Here are more details of the home and our experience.

When I walked into the bathroom there was hair (pubic and regular) all over the floor and worse, all over the bathroom mats. I also found toenails both on the bathroom floor and in the rug in the bedroom. I brought this to the attention of the homeowner who basically told me I was a liar and that she had just been there and personally cleaned all these items herself. I know what pubic hair looks like and it was everywhere on those bathroom rugs. I ended up rolling them up and throwing them in the closet because there was no way that I was going to step on them, they were that gross. After the owner went on and on about how there was NO WAY that I was seeing all this stuff, she told me that she contacted the mgmt. company to contact me. The next day (Sun) someone came out to take a look at things. He agreed that the bathrooms were gross but paused when I mentioned the bug that were on the floor behind the couch. He asked me where they were and I told him that I already vacuumed them up because they were gross and I wanted them gone. So since they were not there when he came, I think he was not sure if he should believe me. He told me that the crew does not work on weekends and the earliest someone could come out was Monday, we checked in on a Saturday. So Monday this ONE guy comes in the house with a broom and sweeps the bathroom floor and spays some bleach solution in the shower and leaves. He was there not more than 20 minutes and was supposed to re-clean all 5 bathrooms. No way that happened, but I was so done with it at that point I was not going to argue my way through my vactation.

When I got home and after I contaced the owner about a partial refund ($250) and she said no, I told her that was her perogative but that I would have to write a negative review based on my experience with her and her home. She then THREATENS me and said that if she finds any negative review from me or anyone associtated with me, that she would sue me.So I would stay FAR AWAY from this house and this owner. There are so many other GOOD owners in WH that understand how to treat their customers.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,095 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DSNYS Retreat - Windsor Hills. Stay Away!

How did you find this rental ?....VRBO, Homeaway or similar ??......Most of those sites have a way for your to notify them if the rental is other than advertised......they also have reviews you can make on the site......I would post there as well, to make sure all who considered this property will read of your experience......

Hope your family ended up having a good vacation despite all of this..........

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
63 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DSNYS Retreat - Windsor Hills. Stay Away!

I found it on Homeaway and did post a review there as well. Unfortunately they only allow a certain number of characters so I did not get the post everything. But I posted enough.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,095 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DSNYS Retreat - Windsor Hills. Stay Away!

Wow, just had a look at their website........looks like the owner has posted many, many positive reviews today from her "guest book".......some from years and years ago........so sad to resort to this type of subterfuge rather than just supply those items as promised in her advertisement or, as you have suggested, give you some sort of discount........

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
63 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DSNYS Retreat - Windsor Hills. Stay Away!

Like I said, there are SO many homes and owners in Windsor Hills. We rented 3 other homes at the same time and had absolutely no issues with any of them, or their owners.

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,432 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: DSNYS Retreat - Windsor Hills. Stay Away!

Sorry to hear about your negative experience. Particularly the cleaning issue. As you experience if you rented several properties, not all owners and companies are created equal. I do think renting directly from a reputable company - and one that is on call! - would solve many of the types of vacation rental complaints we see on this forum...but this forum is very pro rental direct from owner. Hey, you can often save money that way and some people prefer the personal relationship...when it's a good one!

Anyway, some of your complaints are inexcusable in my opinion. Others, well...

"if I rent a home with game consoles, I expect there to be games to play with them. They are of no use to anyone if they do not have games. When I asked the owner about them I was told that they were removed from prior guests and that was something she had no control over and that they did not intend on buying new ones. Maybe that is something I should not have expected". I wouldn't have unless specifically listed. Understandably, such things WOULD have a way of growing feet and walking. I wouldn't expect games for a game console, any more than I would a DVD library just because there is a DVD player, a CD collection just because there is a CD player, or a complimentary iPod or iPhone just because someone might happen to have a radio or alarm clock that is compatible with one. These things are available if you choose to bring your own. Maybe some are available. Great if so. But personally would never count on that. And if you had 3 other homes with games as well as a clubhouse with games ...???

As for grills, that is something which many owners and companies charge extra for. Again, because of the issues mentioned "old and gross". Rental ensures it's there, it's clean, and it has propane. The value is more like $50 not $250 (I understand your amount was for the combined issues). If it was listed in writing as a feature, I would expect them to be there. In a picture. Well yeah, that creates an expectation and is a bit deceptive if not really there. But if it was only in a picture and not in writing and it was truly that important to me I would clarify. The owner is clearly from the UK based on contact info. You can't expect them to just pop over and retake new photos of the pool because the grill was removed. You have a bit of case there though my personal expectation would be that I would have to pay extra for one to ensure I got one.

Sorry you had a bad experience in 1 of the 4 homes. It's unfortunate, some of it inexcusable, but some also on you if I'm being honest. Or, at least, I wouldn't have had some the same expectations you did. (And again, cleaning, that's poor.) Hope you enjoyed the holiday anyway. And hopefully the kids did more than play games!

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
63 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DSNYS Retreat - Windsor Hills. Stay Away!

I appreciate your response, it is always helpful to get other's view's on things.

I do want to clarify that with the grill, it was in writing. Here is the wording on my quote:

The total cost for your stay will be $1695.00 this includes pool heat, tax and local/long distance/international calling to land lines + wifi internet access & use of gas BBQ.

That to me states that there will be a BBQ there for me to use. When I questioned the owner and pointed out that it was in my quote that there will be a BBQ, I was told that it was my problem for expecting one to be there. That because it was not something I did not pay extra for, then I should not have expected it. But how did I know that I did not pay extra for the BBQ? The quote was one price, it was not broken down by amenity. So when it states that I will have use of a gas BBQ, then was I wrong to expect one to be there? I only pointed out the pictures on the website because someone might look at them and think there is a BBQ at the house, because listed in the ammenities, there is a gas BBQ.

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,432 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: DSNYS Retreat - Windsor Hills. Stay Away!

No, if it was in writing, and supported by web photos, I would also expect it to be there and would be upset if it wasn't (if I was planning to use it of course). I'd have asked the Owner/Management Company to supply one or seek a credit as well if they couldn't/wouldn't. As above, I'd say around $50 is a fair rental rate for a grill. I'd expect a company to do something about it. An owner, well, if I had paid something lower than their advertised price to begin with, I'd try, but realistically not sure if I would expect to make much ground if I had already gotten a deal. I'm happy at least you had some positive experiences together with this negative one so as not to put you off from rental altogether.

Seaham, United...
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: DSNYS Retreat - Windsor Hills. Stay Away!

Could I suggest that you copy and paste your review here:-

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g34612-d11688…

It means that folks who are searching for reviews of a specific property will be warned what to expect.

I had a disappointing rental at Windsor Hills. The company I booked with was Thomsons (UK company, and the management company was The Florida Store. They don't work weekends either so perhaps it was the same management company that you had!

Regards,

Deaconblue

Regards

HH
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: DSNYS Retreat - Windsor Hills. Stay Away!

I contacted this same homeowner with questions and she immediately responded by threatening her lawyers at me too. She is nuts! Stay far away, there are too many reputable and reasonable rentals at WH to deal with this one....her name is Dee.

Edited: 9:01 pm, October 30, 2012
10. Re: DSNYS Retreat - Windsor Hills. Stay Away!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10:01 am, April 17, 2017