We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fishing charter etiquette

toledo, oh
Level Contributor
55 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
fishing charter etiquette

What is the proper tip $ for an owner/captain on a half day charter?

8 replies to this topic
conn
Level Contributor
1,517 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fishing charter etiquette

I've tipped a captain as much as $100 on a fantastic day of fishing. This was a flats charter for 2 people. We got into 4 tarpon and a huge shark. The scenery was awesome and capt. treated us with great respect.

FL
Level Contributor
184 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fishing charter etiquette

I would base it on

Are they explaining anything to you about how the rods work, which type of fish are running now, when you catch the fish, showing you parts of it, explaining the surrounding area, etc. Or do they remain quiet and answer your questions with one word answers. I would say if the charter cost $600 tip $50-$75 if you were happy.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,000 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fishing charter etiquette

If they do their job - 20% is customary. And if they are trying and making an effort and you don't catch your goal fish - that's not always their fault but mother natures too. I have been out with some awesome captains and mates and we get totally skunked. They still put in a hard working day and tried their hardest.

Williamsville, New...
Level Contributor
545 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fishing charter etiquette

20% is customary...but there is no problem with tipping more if you think they went above & beyond.

Sarasota FL
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: fishing charter etiquette

We tip waitresses in restaurants because they aren't paid very much, usually way below minimum wage, and they depend on tips to avoid starvation.

What's the reasoning for tipping the owner/captain of a boat that probably cost more than my house?

Tipping in America is crazy.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,000 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fishing charter etiquette

Fuel, equipment, bait, time, knowledge, the boat you are on.

Some mates are only paid in tips. And they not only do all you see on the boat but clean your catch, clean the boat, maintenance on the boat and so on.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,652 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: fishing charter etiquette

Similiar on dive boats, especially for crew.

The captain/business owner may not actually own the boat - it may be leased or owned by the bank.

Boat to some buinessness owners stands for 'Break Out Another Thousand' as they are very expensive to maintain and run.

Don't stiff the crew/captain because the boat or gear looks expensive....

Walland, Tennessee
Level Contributor
1 post
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: fishing charter etiquette

Years ago we used to tip the mates for helping tend the rods, filet the catch, and being an all around personable guy. The captain got the agreed upon free to pay his salary and overhead but not a tip. Now, we're fishing again and I'd like to know the 21st century protocol.

Reply to: fishing charter etiquette
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted