We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our recent trip to Marathon

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
957 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Our recent trip to Marathon

Hi, well we've been back for just over 2 weeks now and the holiday blues are well and truly setting in. My husband and I had 6 nights in Marathon and this was our third time here. We stayed at the Hammocks at Marathon purely because we are Bluegreen owners but the location works well for us, being so close to the old 7 mile bridge.

I've done a separate review on the resort but in the main it was fine. They still play their pool music annoyingly loudly and it was made even worse by a family of 9 bringing their own music system to the pool and playing it even louder but staff were pretty rubbish at dealing with this. Anyway, rant over, the apartments we stayed in were pretty nice and suited us fine. I just enjoy sitting out on the balcony at night quaffing the cold white wine and enjoying the warmth. Glad we got an ocean view instead of a car park view!

We were pretty lazy this trip as we hadn't seen much sun north of Miami at the start of our holiday so we vegged by the pool a lot. Walked the old bridge a few times and saw tons of jellyfish so we opted out of a snorkelling trip which was a real shame as we do enjoy it a lot. There were lots of turtles popping up for air but we didn't see many other fish this time. We did make it onto Pigeon Key this time though, instead of just viewing it from the bridge, and I can highly recommend this as a little trip. I'm glad we did something new this time. We had a drive to Deer Key and after being about to give up, finally spotted a deer dashing over the road but the walk around the water hole ( I can't recall it's name) was disappointing this time.

We tried to go back to Crane Point as we enjoyed it a lot the first year we went but frustratingly it was shut and wasn't going to re-open until after we left, but we did go back to the Turtle Hospital again and this was also really enjoyable. I suppose it had been 4 years since we were last there but the tour seemed more informative and all the money goes to an excellent cause.

In hindsight, I wish we had eaten out more, we did the Stuffed Pig again ( good for brekkie, not so keen on our lunch), and Sparky's but otherwise we ate in a lot using the outdoor BBQ to enjoy a few steaks. I guess 6 days just isn't enough to enjoy Marathon so fingers crossed we'll be back again in a few years and come for longer! Maybe not in September though, I found it just a tad too hot by the end and was a popular snack for the mosquitos! We've been in November and May, what month is best I wonder that would be hot enough to enjoy the pool but not so hot you feel like flaking out?

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,103 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our recent trip to Marathon

Right now isn't bad weather wise. I'm still getting in the pool, the humidity has dropped a good bit (although supposed to ramp right back up again this week) not too crowded either.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
957 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our recent trip to Marathon

Thanks Bluewater, I think I remember you suggesting October last time i asked the question back in 2011 but this year we could only go in Sept because of work reasons. Pesky job always gets in the way of holidays! Hopefully hubby and I will have finished with work the next time we come so definitely can plan it for the right weather.

Moline, Illinois
Level Contributor
360 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our recent trip to Marathon

Thanks for the trip report! Sounds like you had fun and took it easy which is part of what a vacation is about, in my opinion. We also love the Turtle Hospital and would love to go back again. We'll have to add Pigeon Key to our next trip this winter as we have not been there.

4. Re: Our recent trip to Marathon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 18, 2014