We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way of traveling to Marathon from NY

Stony Point, New...
4 posts
Save Topic
Best way of traveling to Marathon from NY

I am thinking of traveling to Marathon in Feb 2014 and was wondering what airport to fly into and if I should try flying into Marathon or renting a car at one of the larger FL airports and driving to Marathon. I am meeting friends there who will be driving down for an extened trip and I only have 8 days so want to make the most of my time but still not spend a fortune on traveling there. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
13,889 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way of traveling to Marathon from NY

Years ago you could fly right into Marathon, but alas no more. Where would you be flying from ? You have several options: fly into Key West rent a car and drive up to Marathon. Fly into Miami/Ft Lauderdale or West Palm and rent a car there and then drive down. Lastly ask your friends to pick up/drop off at one of those airports.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
15,364 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way of traveling to Marathon from NY

I would compare prices between flying into Key West vs either Miami or Ft. Lauderdale. Altho the drive thru the keys is part of the experience with 8 days you will have plenty of time for that. I would look at rental car prices too, not sure if there is a difference in renting in KW vs Miami, etc. Make sure its a daytime flight, driving at nite in some areas of the keys can be difficult due to areas that don't have lighting. In Deer Key you have to drive very slowly as the deer tend to run out in front of cars.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,353 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way of traveling to Marathon from NY

Born - you thinking of Big Pine Key?

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
15,364 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way of traveling to Marathon from NY

Big Pine could be correct. Its been a while! I just remember driving back from Key West at night a couple of different times and there are some areas that are kind of desolete, no houses or lights along the roadway. Same with the top of the keys, you have that section where its just mangroves along the highway. I don't drive that much a night so it makes it harder to navigate when you aren't used to it.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,353 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way of traveling to Marathon from NY

No Deer Key unless its a small out island.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
15,364 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way of traveling to Marathon from NY

Blue, I've probably just always called it that because of the deer LOL! Just wish I was the one coming there! Really miss the keys.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,353 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way of traveling to Marathon from NY

And the Keys miss you!

8. Re: Best way of traveling to Marathon from NY

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 21, 2014