We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes

Pontefract
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitoes

Hi, My friend and I are visiting Marathon for 4 nights mid September. We have been told to beware of the Mosquitoes as there are 2 different types. Does anyone know if we need malaria tablets or if our caribbean jabs will suffice. Also can anyone recommend repellents other than marmite, skin so soft, jungle formula (if these don't work please say also). We don't want to end up as pin cushions for our flying friends. Do you know any US remedies that we can pick up on our way down, save on luggage space? Many thanks for any help given

England
Level Contributor
898 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitoes

As far as I'm aware, you don't need any jabs for any parts of the USA. Certainly, you don't need malaria tablets. There are some mosquitos that carry West Nile disease, but there's nothing you can do to protect yourself against that, except to protect yourself against getting bitten!

We're going to the Keys in just over a week's time and will be taking jungle formula deet products and skin so soft - also aloe vera and other after-bite remedies in case we do get bitten. I think the American equivalent of jungle formula is 'Off' - I don't know if it's any better or worse. Perhaps you should avoid the Everglades - the blighters are terrible there in the summer, by all accounts. I have read that the Keys are regularly sprayed, so the problem may not be too great there ... but ...

Edited: 12:47 pm, May 31, 2012
Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,340 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitoes

Plenty of sprays and what not sold at the local stores, I wouldn't bother bringing something. They might not even be a problem where you are staying. I'm sitting in an open area right now and haven't seen a one. Then if they are a bother where you are, go get spray. You don't need any shots to visit. They are pretty well controled here.

Pembroke Pines...
Destination Expert
for Doral
Level Contributor
638 posts
600 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitoes

We've been to the Keys two weeks ago and all we needed was OFF Spray (Deep Woods version works better for me),. Any pharmacy should have them, it costs like 5-6 dollars a bottle. In addition a tube of Hydrocortizone, generic one is fine (like Walgreen's 0.5 one) worked well after the byte, if there was one.

No need for any shots.

Yes, where we were there were many bloody 'squitos...

Pontefract
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitoes

Many thanks to those of you who have replied so quickly. It seems clear that if I have some repellent then all should be ok. Did anyone use a plug-in repellent for their room? Not sure mine would work as its a round pin plug and would need to use a US adaptor. Still I have some better understanding of what to expect so thanks again everyone. You advice is invaluable as always xx

Pembroke Pines...
Destination Expert
for Doral
Level Contributor
638 posts
600 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitoes

It will need a US adapter, however make sure you'll be OK with 110V. Computers have AC adapters that run on any voltage between 100-250, however many simple appliances don't have that and very often would not work, and there is a possibility that this may cause fire, so be careful.

I'd stick with strong OFF, frequently used.

England
Level Contributor
898 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitoes

We took a plug in to Greece last year, and it worked very well. But I'm not taking it to the USA - mainly because of the voltage difference. You should be fine with the sprays or wipes. Keep the windows and doors shut after dusk. The air-conditioning will help with keeping them out - as will any insect screen or cage. I'm hoping so anyway!

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,340 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitoes

Yes, we have bugs, but I think you're going to find them not as bad as you are imagining. I was outside the entire day yesterday and don't recall any, maybe one I didn't know about - and we live in a very wooded area.

Pontefract
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitoes

Hi everyone.

Thank you for being so generous with your help and advice. Especially Bluewater who I take it lives in Marathon or is at least there right now. If we take what we have then I am sure we will be fine. Its just nice to get others opinions on these matters so we can prepare for anything that may happen. You know the saying "Be prepared" well usually you never need what you take if you go for worst care scenario.

Many thanks to everyone for you help once again

xx

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,340 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquitoes

Yup, live here - and hope you love it as much as we do when you visit. Don't waste precious luggage space with bringing spray/whatever for bugs. IF you find they are bothersome we have more then enough places to purchase. Plus, then you'll have to check that bag and wait for it! ;)

Pontefract
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquitoes

Hi Bluewater,

Have taken your advise and will buy on demand as it were when we get there. While I have your attention, can you recommend anything good to do in our 4 days down in the keys, and good eating places, we like places locals eat?

Thanks