We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snorkeling for beginners

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
snorkeling for beginners

We are staying at Royal Plum Club for a week near the end of June. My brother-in-law and I love snorkeling and would like to introduce the rest of the family to the fishes. We will have a 7-year-old with us, and some less-than-proficient swimmers. (Good thing they make vests)

Where would you recommend starting? We'd like to get out to the reef if possible. I've searched the websites of the companies I have found, but none of them are particularly detailed. I was thinking of one of the state parks but was worried that the crowd would be too large and the employees would not have a lot of time for beginners.

Are there any recommendations for private / small group tour companies (that won't break the bank?) Is there anywhere (interesting) we could walk into the water to get some experience before going to deeper waters?

Thanks for the input!

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,375 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snorkeling for beginners

You can snorkel from shore in lots of places but the best spot will be Bahia Honda State Park. Altho not near as much to see as out at the Reef its a good place to practice. Make sure the less experienced use a vest or a belly band type float. It makes snorkeling so much easier! Also try to pick a very calm day if possible. I have tried to snorkle in the keys when the water was choppy and its not any fun fighting the waves. The little one can practice in the pool too.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,000 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: snorkeling for beginners

You can find outfitters that only take small groups. A Deep Blue Dive is one. I don't think the state park in Marathon does snorkeling. Bahia Honda would be the closest. I don't see their employees being any less attentive then a non-state park place. They (allllllll outfitters) deal with beginners on a daily basis - it's part of the job.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: snorkeling for beginners

A couple of things that helped my family to start, including a couple of kids. Start the kids and those who are afraid in the pool. Make sure their mask is tight enough that water does not leak in. Tell them to look ahead, instead of straight down. It gives a bit of a horizon that way, and they can see they are not on the bottom of the ocean, and it combats any claustrophobic feelings. Totally agree it is easiest when the water is calm!

4. Re: snorkeling for beginners

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:41 am, June 20, 2013