We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marathon for a month?

Which Marathon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
7 posts
Save Topic
Marathon for a month?

I am thinking of spending a month in Marathon - is there enough to do? I like walking, beaching, swimming, snorkelling, shopping. I am travelling with a small dog.

Thx.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,628 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marathon for a month?

Yes. Do it.

You are a beautiful 1 hour drive form both ends of the keys. If you don't want to leave, you don't have to.

Marathon, Florida
Level Contributor
410 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marathon for a month?

You'll want to stay longer.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Marathon for a month?

You can walk and wade the roadside beaches to go flats fishing for bonefish. Fishing in the Florida Keys is a great time.

www.threebone.com is a website that explains how and where to bonefish. The website also has some humorous Keys Short stories about Keys Life.

I caught 3 bonefish in one day, and that is why it is called 3bone.

mark@threebone.com

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,217 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marathon for a month?

You won't have a problem finding things to do. There's plenty of places to walk, small beaches, historical places to visit. Make day trips to the other keys. Each key has it's own personality. From Marathon you are not far from Bahia Honda park. Rent canoes or kayaks from most anywhere in the keys to explore the shoreline. Visit John Pennykamp Park in Key Largo. There are quite a few nice little shops in Marathon. Some touristy, some not so. That goes for all of the keys really. Take one day a week to explore Key West. Hire a guide for a fishing trip, or if you don't fish you can still hire them to go out on the water for the day. Many places are pet friendly in the keys even restaurants that have out door seating, altho I would check first before bringing fido. Enjoy!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
194 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marathon for a month?

lucky!

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,245 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marathon for a month?

Marathon for a month??? I'll take that kind of boredom ANY day of the week!!! My husband and I are teachers and so we travel to Marco Island each summer and our stays get longer and longer. We now stay for most of the summer and I am almost in tears when we have to leave! Marathon would be the same way . . . GREAT place!!!

7. Re: Marathon for a month?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, October 29, 2012