We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

age for license

winter garden fl
1 post
Save Topic
age for license

Hello, Can anyone advise me I have a 15 and a 12 year old. do we need license with lobster stamps for them. the local walmart tells me no, but i have heard that they have to have one to be able to get lobster for them if they are on the boat.

thanks

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: age for license

Try Google with this phrase:

fishing licence age for lobster in florida

Marathon, Florida
Level Contributor
410 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: age for license

1. http://marinefisheries.org/license.htm#Rec:

Recreational Saltwater Fishing License

You do not need a license if you are:

· Any child under 16 years of age.

2. http://myfwc.com/marine/lobster.htm:

Lobster

The spiny lobster sport season will fall on July 30th and 31st for 2008. The bag limits are 6 per person per day for Monroe County and Biscayne National Park, and 12 per person per day for the rest of Florida. The possession limit on the water is equal to the daily bag limit, and off the water is equal to the daily bag limit on the first day, and double the daily bag limit on the second day. Possession limits are enforced on and off the water. Spiny lobster has a minimum size limit that must be larger than 3" carapace, measured in the water. A reminder that possession and use of a measuring device is required at all times, and night diving is prohibited in Monroe County (only during the sport season). A recreational saltwater license and a crawfish permit are needed for harvest. Regular spiny lobster season is August 6 through March 31. The bag limit is 6 per person per day. Harvest of lobster is prohibited in John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park during the sport season. Harvest is also prohibited during both the 2-day sport season and regular season in Everglades National Park, Dry Tortugas National Park, and no take areas in the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary.

Call (305) 852-7717 or visit http://floridakeys.noaa.gov for information about no take areas in the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary. Please call the FWC Key West office at (305) 292-0311 or click here for lobster harvesting regulations for Monroe County. Recreational trapping of lobster is prohibited.

Marathon, Fl
Destination Expert
for Marathon
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: age for license

twofish, you beat me to it!!

http://marinefisheries.org/license.htm

South Florida...
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,704 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: age for license

You guys got me nervous since I'm sending my 15 yo out for lobster. Just to sum up all these links -- if you don't need a license then you don't need a stamp for lobster or snook. You do need a stamp for tarpon. So my 15 yo is license free, stamp free but hopefully not lobster free.

Key Largo, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key Largo
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: age for license

...so sad.... just hit Driver's Outlet.... A tourist & his kids were buying lobster gear. He was exchanging something & buying one of those too-small & now-illegal dive flags and a plastic measure thing for the lobster. I suggested buying a more accurate metal one for $1 more. The guy snapped back "this is just fine." He then proceeded to tell the cashier how he was taking his kids out T-O-D-A-Y for lobster!!!!!

<shakes head>

Marathon, Florida
Level Contributor
410 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: age for license

Here's a little about measuring from the FWC site:

Spiny Lobster Measurement

Spiny Lobster must have a minimum carapace length of greater than 3-inches and the measurement must take place in the water. The carapace is measured beginning at the forward edge between the rostral horns, excluding and soft tissue, and proceeding along the middle to the rear edge of the carapice.

There's an excellent pdf document on their site with ALL the regulations. Why not just follow them so EVERYONE has a safe, fun and law-abiding lobster season? I can't think of a better way to ruin a wonderful vacation than to have your lobster confiscated because either you have too many or they are too small. Really now .... it's just spiny lobster. The last I checked, their tales are not dipped in gold.

7. Re: age for license

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 pm, October 01, 2009